Quick Post

My Horse is Hard to Catch.

My Horse is Hard to Catch.
  • My horse is Hard to Catch and Very Stubborn and Lazy what should i Do?
  • Start giving your horse reasons to want to be caught.  Go out with goodies and when your horse comes up, give them a treat, a nice scratch and then just walk away.  Keep doing that, then start haltering your horse, fiddle around some, then unhalter him and walk away.  If you only do arena work, switch things up and go out on trail.  Horses generally like trail riding and it will help keep your horse happy.
  • Oh I LOVE this problem! I take a whip with me and wave the halter in plain sight. Then I say c'mere and do some kind of hand signal. Stretching your arm towards your horse and moving your fingers or hand at the wrist. If the horse turns away I make them run by pointing the direction I want them to run (full arm pointing) and using the whip with the other hand (towards the behind-the-girth) area. When they look at me with both eyes I literally drop everything and stretch my hand out again and beckon them in. It sometimes takes quite a while so don't be in a hurry. And don't be upset yelling "come here you idiot horse!" [':D'] Stay calm and when he finally comes to you, lots of praise and positive behavior on your part! (It's a great workout!)

After learning this, my horse has to catch ME. I enter the pasture, say "c'mere" and he walks up and puts his nose in the halter. If he looks away, I point my arm and he thinks about it. He might choose to do a little running but when he decides he's through running he walks over and gives me his nose. Of course he's brilliant. [':D'] Sometimes I just walk away and he follows me.

You can work with him on a lunge line to enforce the whole "c'mere" concept and of course, use the words and motions of your choice. It's cool to be able to walk out in the pasture, make a hand gesture and have your horse come right up.

You have to be the kind of horse owner that's kind and not confusing and gives your horse enjoyable experiences - good grooming sessions, snacks (in the bucket), and pleasurable outings.

my opinion only [':)']
  • Thanks Danastark! and Hunterseat for your Ideas I will try Them some time! For the meantime i have been going out with oats. I shake the Oat bucket and she Comes to me. Do you Guys think this is a Good Idea or Not? thanks again!
  • I dont like to bribe my horses to come to me when I need them. I want them to come when called. You need to make him want to come. So what I would do is make him work. Depending on how large your area is it may be harder and take more time to do. So what you do is make him work, chase him, make him do something. The second he stops and looks at you. Turn your back on him. This could take up to few weeks to fix, depending on how long your horse has gotten away the bade behavior.
  • Well, the first thing I will say is, is there a mare in the pen with them? We keep out two geldings with a mare, now every time we go to catch them, the mare (Babe) makes them run off. I agree with danastark too. Make them look forward to coming to see and be with you. Don't just walk in and waltz right up to them, enter the arena and just mosey around. Slowly walk towards them - but at an angle. When you are about 10-15 feet away, just stop and look around. Maybe offer your hand. If they come to you, they'll feel happy that they found a peppermint! Just rub them and then put the halter on. After the halter is on though, let them just graze a little more in their pen. Then exit and let them eat outside the pen. It can give the horse something to look forward to - rather than thinking - oh, here she comes guys! She's gonna make us work! But in this way, they might think - hey! more treats guys! c'mon! Just a thought. oh, I might also add - catch them with a halter first, not a bridle. I have had people do that before. hope this helped!
  • Ok, so lots of different people have opinions about this! But, this is what I do. 1st. Many horses have reasons they don't like to be caught, so make them want to be caught! Instead of just taking them out and working them, try just taking your horse out and grooming him/her, or feed them there grain etc. Go out in the field/paddock(or whatever you have)and take a treat. Go walk up to your horse with you hand extended showing the treat. If your horse moves away from you in away way, immediately stop and back up. Because, you want that horse to know that you are not a predator. If your horse lets you come up to him/her without the halter feed him/her the treat, give them a pat and verbal phrase and then walk away. Continue this until your horse is intrested in seeing you and you can walk up to him/her easily. next, bring the halter into the picture. If your horse walks away with the halter in your hand, try hiding it behind your back and walking up to them with the treat. When you are near your horse, give your horse a 'hug' and rap the lead rope around the horses neck. Put the horses halter on once you have the lead rope on. Once you have the horses halter on pat them and phrase them, and take it off. Repeat this and eventually start taking the horse out of the pasture, and start grooming it. Remember, baybe steps are the key!
  • Grain is a great way. I use grain all the time because I have some very difficult horses to catch.