Quick Post

anxious horse or no respect?

anxious horse or no respect?
  • i have an 8y/o quarter gelding.  well broke. when i take him somewhere he freaks out. i have seen others ride him and he will calm. now when a new horse visiited for a day he freaked out again. i have worked some at lunging and he  will be fine and then pin his ears and crow hop at me. he is generally a fine horse and i can get him to do what i want. am i failing a test, not reading a cue? how do i help keep him calm? when i am freakin out too?
  • Every time I rode my horse, when I first got him, I wondered if that would be the day I died. I decided to just push him through that behavior but I have to say, having a VERY secure saddle (Australian) helped me so much. It was a matter of not knowing how far he would go. Wouldn't you just love to swat his little butt for crowhopping? But you know he'd probably toss you off?

I think wet saddle blankets/lots of trail riding, taught me exactly what he's going to do and also that I can stick with him and get him out of it.

Just make behaving easier for him than misbehaving.

Also, my horse never did anything directed at me. He was just crazy between the ears. I miss him. But the old boy is enjoying Kentucky.
  • If other people have ridden him and had success with getting him to calm down, I'd ask them what they did!  It does sound like you must be sending him the signal that you are not the boss.  Is he kicking at you when you are lunging him?  If so, you need to get after him and make him work hard so he learns that type of behavior earns him work.  Usually when a horse acts up, putting them to work "makes the lungs talk to the brain." 

He may be well broke but not desensitized to going new places so doing so will help.  When I was bringing along my gelding, we went everywhere.  We are starting to go for rides alone and yesterday he wasn't very happy.  He wasn't naughty but he definitely was worked up.  I put him to work doing serpentines, working on bending, circling, making him think about something else and since there wasn't anyone around, sang to him ':)'

Wear a helmet and be careful ':)'  I have on occasion (when it felt unsafe to be on) gotten off and finished my ride leading my horse.  He was used to be led and it seemed to make him feel safer to have me leading the way.  If you have any riding buddies, start having them go out with you.  Nothing like an experienced horse to help a newbie on the trail ':)'