Quick Post

my pony wont move while i am riding her!!!

my pony wont move while i am riding her!!!
  • Hi, my pony (Shelly) is a very good natured pony. She only has one little issue that needs to be corrected. I take her out on rides regularly. When i instruct her to go ahead and walk she does not go. The only way she will move while you are on her back is if someone else is leading her with a lead rope. Other than that she is a very good pony and if I can correct her and get her to walk while i am riding her I would be so happy. 

thanks!

• If she hasn't really been broke to ride, then she doesn't know what you are asking. Go back to ground work. Teach her to longe and the commands to walk, trot and, later on, to canter AND to whoa. My horse will respond to the verbal commands or to one cluck (walk), two clucks (trot) and a kiss sound (canter). Whoa means just that - stop and don't move. Once the horse knows and responds to the words or other cues you use, put long lines on her and drive her from the ground. You will either need a surcingle or you can tie rings onto a saddle to have something to run the lines through. Unless you like to trot or run yourself, all of your ground driving will be at the walk. That is just so that the horse learns to turn and stop from the reins/bit.
  • Hi, i have been working with her more and when i first take her out she will walk on her own. When she has been walking for a while she almost seems to get tired and stop walking. Unfortunately we currently do not have a round pen to work with her. My friend was telling me that their is an item you can buy that actually straps around the stomach. When you tell the horse to go it applies pressure, when they start to go it relieves pressure. Do you think that this may help her learn to go.   
  • You don't need a round pen. I trained horses for years and never had a round pen. You only need to teach her to longe and then to ground drive. The only thing I can think of that applies pressure to the heart girth and then releases when the horse moves forward is a lariat put around there with the hondo on the bottom and the long end of the rope running through the front legs and then through the lead ring on a halter. It's really only for teaching a horse to lead or (not a great idea) to tie.
  • Oh, BTW, she is not tired. She is either spoiled or untrained. I don't know your skill level. If you can ride her if she decides to kick up (not exactly a buck but similar), I would whack her good on the butt when she stops and won't go forward. If you can't ride that out, find a trainer or an experienced horse person to help you.
  •  I am well aware that you do not have to have a round pen to train a horse. I just think it would be a good idea to have one. i just wanted to see what other people thought about it. I am a very well rider, my mother grew up on a horse ranch. So she is working with her and she is making a lot of progress. I show in horse shows through FFA and i thought it might be a good idea to get Shelly up and going, That way she could be in shows. Thanks.
  • I don't think she was trying to insult you. I have not seen your horse or know your horse but usually if they don't do what you want it could be the don't understand or they do and just dont want to and not taking you seriously as bit to soft with the horse. Round pen a would be helpful like you say but not necessary, I have never used one. You know your horse and yourself best so you have to decide why she is not going forward whether she just doesn't understand, go back to basics, or she is not taking you seriously and doing what she wants then be bit more firm and clear or there may be another reason. 

Like she said about the whack, that could just be enough to tell your horse. Hey Move it! but then your horse may be surprised and really move it so you have to prepare for that. Wish you all the best.
  • Hi, I did not think that she was trying to insult me. I am very sorry my little sister got on here and She did not understand what you were trying to say. Sorry.    Shelly is making a lot of progress with her training, and I am very proud of her. I have been taking her out on rides, and she has been moving pretty well. Once in a while she does stop though. I have noticed that she does not respond very well to a light hit when she stops. She will only go if I use the big whip, witch I don`t enjoy using very much. She is learning though. Thanks, and sorry about my sister. 
  • Sounds like you are making good progress.  Some young horses will just stop for a while.  We had a gelding who would stop and take in the view once in a while it seemed!  They get used to going for as long as you want them to as long as you don't let it be an option ':)'  Usually using the whip isn't painful.  It's more startling than anything.  I always use it right behind my leg so my horse understands that if a gentle squeeze with my leg doesn't work, my leg gets much stronger!

Pictures of your horses and ranch would be great!
  • Ok thanks,I'll try and post some pics later today
  • Hey Cintillate, good to hear from you again.  We were concerned when nothing came from your location after the earthquakes and everything.  Hope you and yours are okay.

Meme, whollop her!  Reward her profusely with praise when she starts up again, but don't let her get away with this stalling technique.  Give her a good smack with that stick whenever she tries this.  Your horse is a great con-artist and you are a (sorry but it's true) loving sucker to her con job.  LOL, gotta admire Shelly's moxie though!  She ain't nobody's fool!  All the same, whenever you correct her, remember that Shelly just might take off at full tilt with you.  So, brace yourself.

If you all will forgive a paraphrase of a Biblical quotation, 'He who does not correct his horse, hates him!'

Do you have a horse trainer (perhaps through FFA) or very experienced (your Mum perhaps?) rider to assist you?  This is simply an avoidance technique that is usually very easily dealt with.