Quick Post

tongue sticks out only with bit in mouth

tongue sticks out only with bit in mouth
  • This a perfect mare in every way...except her tongue. she is Hannovarian /arab x very willing a nd a joy addition to our home.. I event this 7 y.oldmare and the tongue can be a real deal breaker in th dressage element . first time posting for this problem.. have tried many bit.. and ride her in a herm sprenger ultra kk.. loose ring. please!!!! any ideas are welcome.
  • Welcome to the forum.  Check in and join in our General Chat anytime.

I am sure someone out there will have an idea on how to deal with this problem.  Over the years I have known many standardbreds that when the bridle goes on, the tongue comes out.  A tongue tie usually, but not always takes care of that.  I am not sure that one would be allowed in dressage competition.  

A picture of your addition will be appreciated by all.

Again, WELCOME.

• Absolutely no idea. Teeth, maybe? I'd ask the vet. (Ditto to Connie - we need pictures of your horsey. [':)'])
  • Does she do it when she doesn't have a bit in also?

Pictures, please!
  • Well there are different probable things that you might want to be interested in considering but they are not always giving the optimum result you might be looking for. To begin with, there is the option to go with the tie. Generally that works in most cases but there are still those which do not get solved that way and you just have to try some other thing.
  • I have a Mustang stallion who is 30 years old who does that every time i ride him/ or some one rides him, its because he has no back teeth.Or he is relaxed or lost muscle tone in his tongue.