Quick Post

Working w/Completely untrained mustang...Help!

Working w/Completely untrained mustang...Help!

• (sorry in adVanCed for tHe weird Caps loCk on Certain letters, my keyboard is going out so some letters I Can only type wHen Capitilized.. it's Very annoying, but try to ignore it!)

Hey guys! So I just Created a page on Horse.Com forum just for some equestrian imput on wHat I'm doing! I am Currently undertaking a projeCt witH a friend of mine trying to gentle a mustang. Now He is not LITERALLY wild, but unfortunately He Has been left to sit in a pasture witHout any kind of Human ContaCt so He is just about. I'Ve been riding my wHole life but I HaVe no experienCe witH gentling a Horse, espeCially one so wary of Humans. I just started working witH Him today in tHe round pen and let me tell you, it was...interesting. He will literally eat out of tHe palm of my Hand (but of Course He won't let me touCH Him) but after tHe food is gone, He is on tHe otHer side of tHe pen.. He is interested in wHat we are doing WHen we work witH tHe otHer Horses and just stands and watCHes us from outside tHe pen but He is just so frigHtened of Humans. Any tips/metHods on How to get Him relaxed around me? THanks guys, and sorry again about my brokenisH keyboard. 
  • First thing I would do is get him out of the paddock and into a small corral.  Something around twelve by twenty-four would do.  Second thing is to feed him as much as possible in my presence.  If he won't permit my presence, he doesn't eat.  Of course, this requires your presence at least twice a day, though I would recommend three or four sessions.  Do not force him beyond the feeding at first. 

When he accepts your presence whilst eating, then start handling him.  Again, if he won't accept the handling, he doesn't eat.  And so on, and so forth.  It's like starting a foal out.  Small steps and always, always  very gently, though very insistantly (for instance; no permiting human presence means no eating).  Once he accepts your presence, try to slip a halter or just a leadrope around his neck (no buckling or tying please).  Then start (very gently) handling his ears, etc, etc, etc...  Step, by patient step.
  • I agree with the small corral - even a stall (if you are comfortable with that tight of space) are a wonderful way to start gentling a horse. 20X20 corral is actually ideal. However - I strongly disagree with withhold food just because the horse is following its instincts. No problems using it to bring them in closer for the initial touches if you choose that route, but I refuse to withhold a necessity like food or water simple because they are too fearful to be touched. That is borderline inhumane in my opinion and totally unnecessary when dealing with mustangs. 

I used a lot of approach and retreat methods on my first two mustangs (also worked will on a 5 year old unhandled stallion and a unhandled yearling). I also like to use the Marv Walker's bonder. Similar to round penning but he outlines a few differences that I think really help making the time in a round pen more successful when the goal is getting a good leader/follower relationship going with the horse. Send an e-mail to: [email=bonder@marvwalker.com]bonder@marvwalker.com[/email] and the autoresponder will send you a link to his bonder. Its free and it could help. 

Here are two other sites that outline training that could help you with this horse. There is a lot of info packed into these pages and several options so if one doesn't work for you and this horse that will be something else to try: KBR horse training (includes specifics for mustangs): http://www.kbrhorse.net/pag/train.html mustangs4us: http://www.mustangs4us.com/gentling_&_training.htm Hope these help!
  • Sorry - not sure why none of my paragraph breaks are showing up?
  • JC I fixed the paragraphing. 
    I hope it is how you wanted? 
    Double spacing at paragraph breaks seems to work.
  • Perfect - thank you! I'll remember the double spacing in the future.
  • Thank you! I will definitely check these websites out. The internet is a jungle full of horse advice!
  • I think that's something that just can't be passed along in one post, but be careful, find someone who can help you. If it's a subject your interested in find some books about it. I'm reading The Natural Horse by Jaime Jackson presently. Knowledge can often replace a lack of experience, but it still takes time to acquire. Good luck to you both! -Clay
  • Slow and easy, Take as much time as the horse requires of you. It will not happen over night. Food is the best way to their heart. If you just sit by the feed while the horse eats and talk in a low gental voice, doesn't mater what you say just talk - when they are ok with that then try to touch- no eye contact in the begining. Being lower then the horse is more comforable for them. It make you less of a threat. Once it gets comfortable with you being there you will be suprised how fast it will go. But always remember not to move faster then the horse is ready for. If you lose that respect that you have earned you will have to start all over again. Good luck- they are a challange but oh what a reward the first time they let you ride them!! Been there, it is great.

Deeta