Quick Post

Need help getting the right lead

Need help getting the right lead
  • How do I get my horse Scout to pick up the right canter lead when he has only been cantering on the left lead for 18 years of his life. Has the same issue when circling on a long line without rider or saddle. Running around the pasture he is always on left lead. Tried everything I can think of. His front right is very slightly clubbed but I wouldn't think it would cause this issue. My cue for the right lead canter is: shift weight back to left butt cheek, use left leg, tip nose to outside of circle (left), kiss. Eventually all he should need is the weight shift. What can I do to help him get this lead and become more balanced? I have attached a link to a clip on YouTube that shows what I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUwE_9tmB3Q Any input would be extremely helpful! -feelinfreedom
  • When I had issues with my horse picking up the left lead, we had some luck with shifting my weight into my outside hip and over-exaggerating pulling my outside leg back.  My instructor also had me ask when the horse's inside hind was back so he would pick it up in the back.  I've also seen people aim their horse at a fence and then do a quick turn, asking for the lead once you reach the fence.  Have you had him looked at to see if there is a physical reason he might not want to pick up the lead?  Goodluck ':)'