Quick Post

Loading in the dark

Loading in the dark
  • We will need to leave at about 3:00am for L's show this week. I've never loaded a horse in the dark, let alone had to catch one. We plan to put Moki in the round pen then go out several times this week after dark and practice so we don't run into any issues. Any advice? Our trailer is lit from the inside.

• Our horses don't have an issue with loading in the dark as long as they know their breakfast is in there!  I recently got my interior trailer lights working and that helps so maybe if you have some lanterns or flashlights, that would help or back the trailer up near your house so the lights can shine in and Moki can see.
  • I read that book (or listened to it on audio driving back and forth last summer in Texas) written by that autistic lady.  It's about animal behavior.  Forgot the name.  One thing I learned was animals see things different.  I think turning the interior light on and the practice are both very wise things to do!
  • Thanks for the confidence builders! I figured it should be pretty easy, just wanted to be prepared for anything I didn't know about.
  • read that book (or listened to it on audio driving back and forth last summer in Texas) written by that autistic lady. It's about animal behavior. Forgot the name.

Temple Grandin Animals in Translation

Good book, a lot of good points, a few I didn't agree with, but her book helped me with teaching horses to load and unload better and faster in a indirect sort of way.

I have loaded horses in the dark plenty of times and never had an issue with it.  Practice couldn't hurt, but I find its one of those things that if you expect your horse to have a problem with it, he will be more likely to.
  • [quote=HGPaints]

read that book (or listened to it on audio driving back and forth last summer in Texas) written by that autistic lady. It's about animal behavior. Forgot the name.

Temple Grandin Animals in Translation

THANK YOU!!!  I'm such a palomino!  (no offense to my haffie friends[':D'])