Quick Post

Rearing and flipping over. What to do?

Rearing and flipping over. What to do?
  • My 6 yo appendix has always been a little crazy but in the last 2 months she's become completely psychotic, she rears and has flipped over with a surcingle and side reins on.  She is not lame, probably could use a floating, doesn't seem to have any back problems or be sore anywhere. 
       As a 4 yo she recieved 4 months of dressage training and she was doing well. About a year ago she injured her left rear fetlock somehow and chipped off a piece of bone.  It opened up again after about 3 months of healing and then healed up again.  I've had no problems out of that and the vet says she's fine and she's by no means lame. 
       About 2 months ago she started tossing her head if you asked her to do something she didn't want to do.  Then I went to ask this new lady at the barn if she wanted to try her on some barrels.  When I got on to show her to the lady and asked for her head or tried to turn her she started rearing up, I was mortified!  So I got out her surcingle and side reins and as sson as I started walking her she yanked her head up and freaked, reared up and flipped over backwards, broke my side reins and nearly cracked her skull on a wheelbarrow and a fence (luckily just missed), I'm really glad I wasn't on her. 
       Anyway, I've now tried a halter and a hackamore and neither one makes a difference. She does it if you're on her or off and no matter whats on her head.  It seems to be a disrepect thing and she does it to anyone.  I'm at a complete loss on what to do.  I've owned her since the day she was born and I've invested a lot in her. She's so sporatic and random that I can't catch her with a water balloon which is what a lot of people have suggested.  And to top it all off, I'm pregnant and can't be on her when she's like this, so I can't 'win' because if I get on and she starts to go up I have to bail.  I don't know what to do and if I can't fix it soon she's gonna have to go and I really don't want that to happen.  She's so talented and so smart and really a nice horse when she's loose and you're on the ground.  She's even great if I hop on in her stall....  what do I do?
  • My friends horse rears alot tooo!!! what we have been doing to prevent her from rearing is when she is about to rear i turn her head to the side so then she cant rear! Since then she has been doing better!
  • The turning the head idea is Great, I myself have had to do that from a time or two.. but please do be carefull when first trying this, Iv had a few horses in the past, being born and raised with horses iv had many come and go thru our family, its not un common for them to still rear even with their heads turned and this actually helps them to rear and flip down sideways, iv seen a few people get crushed this way by the horse fallling on them,  If the horse isnt that insisted in rearing whole heartidly, then this usually does work, just depends on the horse....just be carefull when trying this, 
  • IMO, you need to get professional help with her. You or someone else is going to be killed or maimed. If you find that you cannot "fix" her problem, please put her down.
  • Durangoramma, I was just thinking as i was coming to this thread again, lol.... I was comeing back to suggest the same thing to find a trainer who can help with this issue, I was sitting here thinking about my daughter with her horse, and thinking oh my !!! =(  if someone gave her that advice to turn the head, id prob worry as a mom !!!.....and a trainer or proffesional is prob the best suited for this situation...... =)
  • I agree on the trainer suggestion.  My daughter's paint can get very light on the front end when he's anxious or "rearing to go" and we've learned to not pull back on him but to keep our hands low and turn him when he starts to act silly.  As he's gotten older, he doesn't do it anymore but this mare sounds like there is something going on related to having anything pull on her head-sinus infection, etc, pinched nerve?  Either way, no one's life is worth trying to ride her right now until you get some expert help to figure out the cause.  Goodluck and stay safe!
  • There are some scary as heck youtube videos out there of flipping horses.  I wasn't really familiar with it - thankfully - until a little while ago a forum member who does rescues had one she had to put down.  Flippers are so dangerous.  Seems so odd that it's become a habit just recently.   I hope you can fix this without anyone getting injured.