Quick Post

Above the Bit

Above the Bit
  • Hello All, 

I have been working on getting my horse to go on the bit for about two years now. She will go on the bit after about 20mins of consestanly asking and then only for a few mins at a time then she is back to going above the bit. I keep my hands up, half-halt to push her hind end into the bit and sponge my reins. I had her teeth checked recently and her saddle fits good. She is ridding in a kimberwick. 

Any ideas on how to get her to come into the bit, and be stay there through transitions? I'm doing lots of transitions with her but every time she tosses her head up, I half-halt, keep a bit of leg pressure on her and sponge my outside rein. still happens... 

How can i fix this?

Thank YOu

• [quote=CanadianBarrelRacer]

Hello All, 

I have been working on getting my horse to go on the bit for about two years now. She will go on the bit after about 20mins of consestanly asking and then only for a few mins at a time then she is back to going above the bit. I keep my hands up, half-halt to push her hind end into the bit and sponge my reins. I had her teeth checked recently and her saddle fits good. She is ridding in a kimberwick. 

Any ideas on how to get her to come into the bit, and be stay there through transitions? I'm doing lots of transitions with her but every time she tosses her head up, I half-halt, keep a bit of leg pressure on her and sponge my outside rein. still happens... 

How can i fix this?

Thank YOu

Once you have her where you want....leave her alone. Constant sponging is useless if you are doing it because you feel you should.

The odds are she is getting annoyed and is probably not correctly on the outside rein and just hanging on the reins in the middle.

Pictures or a video would help to be sure.