Quick Post

NEED HELP!!!!HORSE TROUBLE!!!!!!

NEED HELP!!!!HORSE TROUBLE!!!!!!
  • Okay so i'm really confused...this is my situation: I have two horses Hershey (the gelding) and casey (the mare) are inside the barn in there stalls and everyday we take them out to the fenced run-in, Hershey goes first(8 steps infront of Casey) and Casey goes behind him and EVERY day my horse Casey gets a way, once she pulled me into a meatal fence and ran away, the next day she pulled my mom into a gate and ran away,i'm not going to give any more examples because this has been happing for a little longer than a month....she has done different things and ran away to me, my mom, and my grandpa. So do you guys and girls have any suggestions on what to do????? PLEASE HELP>>>THIS NEEDS TO STOP SOON!!!!!!![:(]
  • Sounds like she has NO ground manners.  Have you tried putting her out first?
    If she were in my barn doing this I would put a stud chain over her nose and we would walk to the gate and stop a few times on the way to make sure when I said WHOA it was WHOA.  Then during the day I would get her from the turn out area and lead her back and forth so she got used to walking in this area in a civil manner.  If she tried to get away she would be trotting circles immediately, if she can't behave she would be working.

Good Luck.
  • [';)']  no i will try putting her out first thanks!!!!okay...i can try that...i have done trot circles and they dont work for her!!!!!!thats the first thing i thought of!!!trot circles!!!!!!okay ill also try stopping a few times!!!!!

thank alot ill try all of those suggestions!!!

thanks!!!
  • Someone once pointed out to me that circling when they are running over you is sort of letting them continue the forward momentum and sort of rewarding them.  I'm a firm believer in backing them up.  Whoa first and if they don't do it perfectly, back them up (as if you were going to kill them).  Once they whoa well, several times, then start all over. 
  • If you have done the trot circles thing and it did not work for her than do EXACTLY what hunterseat said.  As soon as she gets pushy back her up, raise your voice and mean it.  Do not back 3 or 4 steps back at least 10 feet.  As soon as she gets pushy again drive her right backwards.  She needs to learn your space vs. her space and NOT to invade yours.
  • KK...THANKS

• KK...THANKS ALOT UB GUYS
  • Hi,

Without lots more info - eg. how long have you had her, what 'manners' have you taught her, how do you handle her, what's her bodylanguage, etc, etc. I will just say superficially I agree with Tanya & Hunter, that she needs to be taught some manners. But *taught* as opposed to just forced or frightened into it, so I wouldn't use a stud chain and I disagree thoroughly with doing anything "as if you were going to kill them". Tho I do realise that might be a figure of speech and agree that you do need to(gradually) get as firm as necessary to be effective.
  • I would definetely put a harsher halter on so you know you have more control. Then when she does start to run off, pull/yank her head around so she can't go in the way she is going. She obviously doesn't have any feelings for you or whoever is leading her.[':)']
  • Darn Connie I think I deleted ur mess.....Buddy luv ' Caseygirl should have gotten the mess from u. My horse problem is feeding with ears back and lunging! lol    
    tardan58
  • I really need a help on controlling a horse I fell very difficult to control a horse a very first time how can I do that things nicely.
    =====================
    Earl Nunes
  • No horse should run over anyone.This is bad ground manners and you need to go back to step one in training.If you need it get a more experianced persion to help.Running away or just being pushy is not acceptiale in my horses,even my fracious 2 year old knows he follows me at a correct distance and if he does not we back up and go to where he goofed and start out again.Even if it takes me all day to teach this all mine respect me and i respect them.
    I go for what we call the long walk,I learned this from my Cherokee unckles and aunts about taming a horse and getting respect.(over 1-3 hours)I take a lead and hook my thumb in my jeans pocket and just walk around the arena,I turn left without letting the horse know it,I turn right,turn around all the time i stop and the horse will stop as it is  starting to  watch me to see what to do.I praise them and keep walking till they know what i want.No hitting,stud chain or run away,a place that is fenced in and if they start acting up i just change directions like i ment to do it.It has worked on all my gang but you might need professional help.
    i would say get help before you or your mom get hurt.If this has been going for over a month this horse has no respect for you or anyone else.She needs to learn this ,but not at the expence of beating or pain,check out diffrent trainers and pick one you think will do the right training-Get a training halter,not a flat one as this gives no control.It cost but in the long run you get a better partner and circles only make you dizzy.
    Turn out is the key,the more is better,I never put mine in a  barn ,all mine are out 24/7 unless hurt or sick and they are pretty good at respect for me.I have arabians(I know Nut horse but no they are realy fantastic)
    Well good luck and I hope you get help with your problem.

• If circling doesn't work you could try a stronger headcollar, leading out in a bridle, or tapping/smacking your mares chest with a stick every time she tries to barge forwards. I mean SMACK if she really barges, they soon learn. A bargy horse can become a dangerous one. Obviously there is the option of a chiffney, which is effective in most cases but quite harsh. Other things you can do is buy a cattle halter, which is rope and contracts around the muzzle and poll areas the more the horse pulls on it. I hope you find something that works, best of luck!

This is standard practice in the UK before anyone has a go at me for being too harsh.   
  • [quote=caseygirl]

...... have two horses Hershey (the gelding) and casey (the mare) are inside the barn in there stalls and everyday we take them out to the fenced run-in, Hershey goes first(8 steps infront of Casey) and Casey goes behind him and EVERY day my horse Casey gets a way..........any suggestions on what to do????? PLEASE HELP>>>THIS NEEDS TO STOP SOON!!!!!!![':(']

Just wondering, Have you tried taking Casey out first and Hershey out last?  While this won't correct the problem there is a chance it could work and would therefore be safer.