Quick Post

bumpy horse

bumpy horse
  •      when i ride i always bump up and my cousin who is older and more experienced than me fell of and im scared i will. is there a way i can make the horse not bump me up when i ride?????[&:]
  • Hi,

First & foremost, if you're scared, this won't help you learn to ride properly, as you'll be tight & reactive - more inclined to 'bump' too. So I would be sticking to walking until you're comfortable with that, then practice little bits of trotting - start with a few paces before asking the horse to slow again.

I know it's difficult when others are doing things you reckon you 'should' be able to, and they may be telling you you should - peer group pressure, feeling ashamed or such, but there's no rule to say you should trot just because others say so. It is hard learning to have a 'good seat' and you don't need to feel bad about taking however long you need to. Better to practice the 'right' things gradually than to rush in & end up practicing the wrong things! Aside from the fact that what's the point of riding a horse if you can't enjoy it??

Especially if you are getting 'tight' because of fear whenever you trot, so may be giving the horse the wrong signals, or otherwise not in full control, it is a good idea to start out doing this on lead or while lunged, so you can forget about control until you've learned to sit well. Make sure you have a good, (trustworthy!) person on the ground that won't allow the horse to keep trotting if you're not ready for it. It's also helpful to have a strap on the saddle to hold, or grab a tuft of mane, so you can hang on until you're comfortable doing it no hands. Trying to relax your body rather than being stiff is another key. Keeping a little weight on your toes & using your legs as 'shock absorbers' to reduce the jolting also helps.
  • I could never trot without posting!  Especially on bumpy horses!!
  • hey thanks for your help i am now not as scared when i ride her
  • Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
  • It looks like Miss Cloe will be 10 in about a month!! [':)']  I clicked on her forum name and saw her birth date!! 

By the way, scwrl, it's really cool that you wear a helmet!  Also, you figured out how to put an avatar picture up?  Lots of people can't even figure that out!

What does scwrl stand for?  What made you pick that for your forum name?  Just curios.   Wait.  Is it like squirrel? [':D']  Just a guess.
  • oh scwrl is my name on a lot of things. i use it because it started on webkinz i didnt know how to spell squirrel when i was like 7 so its easy to remember it
  • HEY!  I guessed correctly!  
  • cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • You sound like a real go getter!  Wish you were near and could join our Pony Club.  We have lots of enthusiastic young riders like you so you could ride and have fun hanging out with other horse-minded kids.

Good for you for wanting to get help and practicing.  Do your parents ride?  Looks like you have a really good horse and that's great you are safe and wear a helmet ':)'
  • where is your pony club??
  • We're in southern California but there are Pony Clubs all over.  How's the riding going or is it your riding mare who is lame?
  • yeah its my mare who is lame but i also ride a gelding mule/shetland pony
  • the mule is the one in the picture of me