Quick Post

Is it normal for geldings to breed mares?

Is it normal for geldings to breed mares?
  • I have a five year old paint gelding. When we bought him two years ago we put him in with our older mare. She immediatly came into heat but we never saw him breed her. Recently we moved him in with all the mares. After lots of provocation he started breeding one of our younger mares. 
      He doesnt act like a stud, he has a wonderful attitude. Even before and after he breeds her he just acts normal.
     Is this normal? and should I worry?
  • Hmmm, my first thought is maybe he's a crypto?  If he is, I feel for ya, that is EXPENSIVE.
  • [quote=DarkChylde]

Hmmm, my first thought is maybe he's a crypto?  If he is, I feel for ya, that is EXPENSIVE.

Aren't Crypto's normally pretty mean?
    Could be a fresh cut so some of the glands or whatever they are were left. Or could be a late cut.
    Do you know when he was gelded?

I believe my horse was late cut, and he has definitely mounted a few mares before.
  • Its really not all that uncommon especially if he has bred mares before or if he was gelded late.  Many geldings just are unaware that they are....gelded.  No worries it happens all the time, i would just be concerned if its affecting behavior, or there are injuries.
  • We have a couple of geldings that will mount mares; it's not that unusual. I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually, it comes in handy for me. I can always tell when the mares are in heat and ready to be bred!
  • Sonny is right.  Cyptos are usually really bad tempered (hormonal imbalences), so he's prolly just goin on old behaviors.  No pregnancies, I hope.
  • Hi all,
       Thanks for all the replys. 
      I actually dont know when he was gelded or if he ever bred any other horses before. Weve had him for 2 years and have never seen him breed our other mare even though she comes into heat regularly. 
      Its kind of funny. The mare that he is breeding almost malests him into breeding her. Shes never been bred before but the is VERY pushy with him. 
      He is able to get in but it doesnt last long. Weve watched him breed her two or three times in a row. Its funny it seems like it only happens when I take her riding and not him. When she gets back hes all over her and shes all over him. She almost knocks him over with her but trying to get him to breed her. My Mom says "Well you know absence makes the heart grow fonder"':)'
      But Like I mentioned before he is a very calm horse, he doesnt make a big show of it.  Weve never had a problem with it on the trail. And hopefully NO BABIES! I guess that will be the final test.
     Thanks Everybody!
  • The problem you will have with him breeding those mares that he can cause them get infections and become unable to breed and or if one mare is in foal and he does his thing with her she will lose her foal.

This what happen to a breeder friend of mine when she allow her mare and geldings to run together and on acted like that all her mare that were bred kept losing there foals.  When they finally separated them the mare carried to full term.
  • Mr Red did this on a regular basis.  The first time I saw that, I thought 'HOLEEE CRAP!  I THOUGHT HE WAS A GELDING!!'  (I don't *want* no babies running around here!  Just don't have the setup.)  Mr Red is a boarder.  Turns out...he *is* gelded, and is not 'proud cut'.   (WHEW!)
    Course, Mr Red always had his way with Angel.  Don't *think* The Lady's ever cooperated for him.  (Not that I've seen, anyway)  And she is forever giving him the 'don't you even *think* about it' squeal.
    But...thanks for asking this question...because I've always wondered about this, too......
  • well my friends 14 yr old mustang gelding doe sthe same thing and acts fine. He was gelded as a yearling
  • [quote=DixieClassic003]

well my friends 14 yr old mustang gelding doe sthe same thing and acts fine. He was gelded as a yearling

Like they say "Old habits die hard" haha[';)']
  • LOL very true! People were slowing down on the road when they put my old mare in the feild with him.
  • I have a gelding that likes to mount one of my mares. The 2 of them just love each other..... I even had his testosterone level checked and it was normal. I was really surprised, since he displayed other "stallion-like" behaviors as well.