Quick Post

Trailering...

Trailering...
  • I have owned and hauled two horse straight  load trailers, and I perfer my 4 horse stock trailer over them especially for hauling stallions.  In the stock trailer, you can close the solid cross gate and tie the stud  to the rear of the trailer.     You are asking for trouble hauling them side by side.  They can still kick and sometimes a stud, especially a young one, will try to rear-could get his feet stuck in the feeder.   They might haul great seperately, but together might be a different can of worms.  If you ever breed the two, hauling them side by side would add to the  risk. 

Are you going to keep the stallion a stud?  If so, I would start saving for a different trailer or make two trips. 

PS. Thought you were looking for a buckskin filly???

• [quote=samsara]

[quote=linaew]

are you talking about the escape doors? It's only big enough for me to get out,

Not every horse knows this.  First hand experience speaking here: I leased a horse who did not trailer well.  Loaded him in the trailer one day, he got in fine, I tied him, he was fine.  We were getting ready to go and all of a sudden he panics.  It was bad he put a huge crack in the fiberglass ceiling of the trailer.  I run to the escape door to get him untied as I open it he lunges forward through the escape door.  He gets one leg and his neck, up to his withers, out the door.  Now I have a freaked out horse stuck in the escape door.  We let him settle down a bit then coax him back through the way he came.  It took a while and he had a gnarly gash under his elbow and some cuts on his head.  It could have been way worse. 

Not saying that this will happen or that it's even likely... just sharing my experiences.  We hauled 2 minimally handled Spanish Mustangs about 8 hours in a 2 horse straight load and nothing happened.

I know exactly what your talking about, my mare use to try and follow me out, but no I never have given her the opportunity and she yields from rhythmic pressure so all i have to do is wave her head back in before it gets that far, of course I would never leave her there untied with the escape door open or any horse for that matter. The only time I use the escape door is to help back her out if she doesn't want to leave her hay or while at a rest stop to check on her legs/body because I can see it all much better but her head is tied to the front of the trailer so unless she's untied she cant poke her head out the escape door.
  • [quote=littlebit]

I have owned and hauled two horse straight  load trailers, and I perfer my 4 horse stock trailer over them especially for hauling stallions.  In the stock trailer, you can close the solid cross gate and tie the stud  to the rear of the trailer.     You are asking for trouble hauling them side by side.  They can still kick and sometimes a stud, especially a young one, will try to rear-could get his feet stuck in the feeder.   They might haul great seperately, but together might be a different can of worms.  If you ever breed the two, hauling them side by side would add to the  risk. 

Are you going to keep the stallion a stud?  If so, I would start saving for a different trailer or make two trips. 

PS. Thought you were looking for a buckskin filly???

Hello Friend!

Well truth is the stud colt didn't work out, I was going to keep him a stud because he was a smoky creme dun, homozygous black and creme and dun. But it didn't work out, plus he was a HERDA carrier, and I really wanted him for the fact that he had excelent confirmation, very nice foundation pedigree, and I would have had 50% of a smokey grulla with Biggin. I think if he was socialized he would have been fine but that's just me. I'm actually pretty into the dun thing these days, and found a really nice proven stallion in Washington. Dun It Ok, that has an AMAZING pedigree (Hollywood Dun It/Peponita) that I think would cross well on Biggin, plus he's 90% foundation. He's homozygous black and dun, so I'd either get a 50% bay dun or 50% dunskin. I'd prefer the dunskin, the creme gene. I sent Biggin's transfer papers in last week, AQHA has had them for a week now, as of today. I had her tested for HERDA and her agouti genes, just in case you were wondering she's N/N and A/A. YAY on the HERDA, was sad about the homozygous agouti, no more chance of getting a smoky grulla out of her, oh well. Hopefully her baby will be A/a and then it will. :-p I'm not sure if I'll breed her this year or next, racing season is coming to an end, and I want an early baby Jan/Feb. Descions, Descions. I'd almost rather breed than buy another one, people are just asking WAY to much for weanlings these days. I wouldn't pay 1000 for half the things they want 2000 for, so why not breed for less and get a much better looking foal? Seems like a no brainer to me. :-p

How have you been anyways? Anything new?
  • Thank you all for all your help, the stud colt isn't coming anymore, but if I do ever have one I will keep all of your helpful advice in mind! Thanks again!
  • Sorry the stud didn't work out for you.  It would probably cost less to breed your mare to someone's stallion, rather than maintain a stallion of your own.   As you know, stallions come with their own set of issues.  That red gene is hard to break if you want color. 

I have Call Me Pinky's 2009 palomino filly for sale.  You should stop by and take a look at her.  She is going to be something!  Lots of Skipper W breeding.  Gorgeous head and lots of muscling. 

Are you still living in the same place? 
  • I'm sure a well bred stallion raised correctly and properly socialized wouldn't be a big deal, look at the hellion I raised, I know how to get em to come around...

The stud I might breed to is Aa so hopefully he gives his little a and baby will be Aa the way I wanted Biggin to be. Color isn't my top priority, what they have achieved is my #1, color is just an added bonus.

I don't really care for Palominos, and I hated Pinky's demeanor so I'll pass on buying but next time I'm out that way I will stop by and say hi. What happened to Mariah?

There is a lot of horses out there right now and great deals on weanling/yearlings... world champion parents for 3k...

Yes we are still renting up the road, but have been looking for a house for 6 months +, but haven't really made any moves because David has turned his application in to get into the Air Force.