So Ive named the younger mare Ruby, and the older mare we are selling so I will continue this forum on Ruby.

I was gone for 10 days over spring break. I was a little worried about the training I've been doing with Ruby because of consistency. But, when I got back I found out my brother  had been working with them both, every day. He has been walking them between trees, desensetizing them with a towel on they're back. The first tuesday after easter I am going to our trainer, Suzanne every teusday then on to learn the basics. Mainly to watch how Suzanne trains our new gelding, Brisben so I can train Ruby. I think I can do it. I just have to stay commited, doing everything, every day, consistently. But I will be gone alot this month. On thursday I leave with my family for Portland for a Michael Buble concert, then, we are turning right around the next day and going to California. So, busy this month but I'll try and stay consistent. Yesterday I got back and the weather has been awful. It's Spring and it's raining, and snowing, and hailing. Freezing cold mornings and misty,windy afternoons. It makes it very difficult to have the motiv to go out there and work for an hour with the horses. Here is what we are doing every day:
Starting off, we condition them by walking them around. Then. we work with them on tight circles and leading. Then, we tie them and brush them. Lastly, we leave them tied for about 20 minutes and work with they're feet, off and on throughout that time. Hopefully, this method will work! Ruby let's us clean her front feet really well, but she is a pain when it comes to her back feet. We are thinking of leaving that to Suzanne since we are inexperienced. What we are doing though as Suzanne suggested is using a broom to desensetize Ruby's back feet.  She was kicking the broom so we are keeping our face away for now.
When I was gone, my brother  told me that when he was trying to catch Ruby,  she kicked at him. Turned and kicked her back foot in his direction. Is it safe to still work with her since we are not experienced, just following directions.