Quick Post

Re: Training a psycho Arabian raised in a pasture

Re: Training a psycho Arabian raised in a pasture
  • I'll ditto the Arab people and add that I have never tied a plastic bag to any horse's tail.  I've tied them to a fence or to a stall door but never to the horse.  Arabians are special critters, wired a little different then even thoroughbreds that I would say are pretty similar to them energy-wise.

I've had 3 Arabs in for training I think and they're all looking for something to think about.  If you don't provide that for them they will find something to think about and snort at etc.  I first teach them patience and waiting.  It takes a little longer to sink in than say, your average quarterhorse but if you start there it does help.
  • I wuddn't tie anything to any horse's tail, of any breed, for any reason.  I do my own version of roundpenning and training, and I get awesome results, and I would never do that, even to the calmest draft or QH.  I started with an Arab, and have had them and love them, I find that they pick up just as quick as any horse, quicker than some in fact, but they REALLY hafta respect and trust you, moreso than other horses.  They are too smart to just take your word for it.  I don't think it takes longer for them to get it as much as they tend to figger things out on a deeper level so it takes longer for them to make sure it is worth it and accept it.

I work with TBs and TB crosses, and they are pretty hyper, especially when babies, now THEY take some time to 'get it'....[':D']  I had one gelding that I SWORE I had to start from scratch every day....  But when he finally 'got it', he got it all the way, and he was a TB.