Quick Post

exuberant trotter

exuberant trotter
  • Here's the latest on the exuberant trotter.
    After 6 weeks of continuos work with the young man, Nicola, Fosco was doing quite well, Nico rode him even bareback around our center, never had a problem leading him and turning him lose, so all was fine.
     Two days ago he couldn't come, so I took Fosco out. And he did the same old stuff, sqealed and pulled like hell already on the way out, and once we hit the paddock there was no holding back.
    So I had a talk with Nico and I gave him Fosco for the symbolic price of 1 Euro. And now I feel a great relief and I know Fosco will be well off with Nico. He has a friend, Nico's TB mare, they already went out together today and he got the stall next to her.
    We did a "protection contract", if he cannot keep Fosco anymore, I'll take him back, if he wants to sell him he'll have to ask me first and if I agree, I get what I paid for Fosco out of the sale price.

I know, you all might call me a quittor, but I just didn't want to be under pressure no more, depending on other people to handle my horse. I was going to the barn every morning, thinking already of what kind of stunt he would pull today, and how I would get hurt in the process.
     Now we're all happy, Fosco has  "squeeze"[';)'], Nico adores him anyway and I am enjoying my Arabs now.

Hunter, just wanted to say, I'm still convinced that STB in general are nice horses, maybe Fosco just wasn't the right one for me.
  •   The last thing you have done is quit on this horse.  By recogninzing that you and he are not ment to be and giving him to someone who can train him and the horse has respect for, you've done more to keep him out of the food chain than letting him flounder in your care.  Good for you.  Good for Nico and good for the horse.  You all got what you need.
  • Entirely sensible!  It will be wonderful for you to see his progress.  Will you be getting another horse?  Or do you already have one to ride?

Safety is the absolute most important thing.  I'd rather have a safe friend with no horse than an injured friend with a horse! [':)']
  • Well....................
    Fosco doesn't agree.......
     He keeps calling me, stands at the fence and looks over to my Arabs, loses all interest in the mare with him, doesn't understand, by his impression, why he's not in his stall next to the Arabs anymore. He looks at me like he's asking "but, mom, what is going on, why are you doing this"...It's breaking my heart, guys.
     I had a talk with Nico tonight. Come to find out they want to use him for trailrides, for his girlfriend. I meant the horse for him, not for her. "My" Fosco.......he's been like a kid to me, somehow. Maybe it would have been better to give him away for good. Away from the place so I don't see him and have to feed him every day (we have a deal, I feed his horse(s) and he in turn brings me feed and anything I need for the horses and barncats).

I know it's all a matter of respect. He sees me as his buddy, same rank in the pecking order. That's entirely my fault, that I didn't establish a higher rank...yet. Maybe I should have been the one working him, not Nico.......

Sorry for blabbing, I just don't know what to do. I love this horse, he's nice, young and sane, he obviously "functions" with other people, so it's me. I am the problem.
    Should I try one more time, this time me being the one working him, roundpen, the basics, the respect, first and foremost..?
    Watcha all think?
     Oh, and yes, I AM jealous................[';)']
  • Update to the last update...
     We did the transfer with the Trotting Association, and Fosco lives with his new girlfriend. He is still calling "his" herd, but it's rather a greeting than a cry for help now. It's soo funny to see those two together in the paddock. It's not really the great love between them, but they accept each other and are also glad to have somebody. The mare has been previously starved, so she's pretty wild when the feed comes, hops around, threatening him and anything near, including the pidgeons, but once she eats, she's okay. He has figured out that this a lot of hot air and not really much there to back it up, so he finishes his (he eats a lot less), and then walks over and helps her. And she lets him! When they're grazing, they stay close together with their muzzles. Could be one found something that's better than the other one is currently munching at[':D']

As for Fosco's work, Nico'sgirlfriend, Giulia, is riding him about four times a week, but since we have started him western and she's all english, she has her problems. Yesterday she asked if I could give her class so she would get the basics down and wouldn't hurt him. Of course I'll do that!.
    So it looks like it was the right thing to do. Giulia is happy, Fosco has a friend, and I still feel this great, great relief. And my Arab Kaschim,who is super sensitive and was getting more and more scared, obviously feeling my stress, is turning into a puppy dog and is constantly loving on me........

Thanks to everybody for bearing with me
  • I've been busier than a 3 legged cat with 2 litter boxes. [8|]  Did I say that right?

Glad to hear it's working out!  I'm English, too.  It's hard for me to get out of their mouths. 

Need some pictures!
  • Duh...didn't think of taking pics today, they went out for a ride on the beach. Nico told me his TB wouldn't get her feet wet, but Fosco went right in. Seahorse, obviously.....

And I think I found my next project.
     Endy KTM, STB, 9 year old rather recent gelding, Liver chestnut with orange mane and tail, drop-dead gorgeous. He's curently being worked lightly in the gig, but is not doing too well, has his issues with the legs, and now they're in the process of deciding what they want to do with him. His racing career would be over end of the year anyway, here the males race until they're 10 years old, mares until 7.
     So I told the owners to let me know. He'll be given away, they don't sell their horses if they finished their career. So wish me luck, this boy deserves a loving "mama". He'll be a dressage prospect. So I'll go English again[';)']
  • Ooh!  Sounds gorgeous!!!  I hope he works out!!
  • I hope so too. And I hope they decide soon and not put him through all the stuff to get him race ready for the remaining 8 months....wouldn't put it passed them.
     I went to see him today and brought some grass. He was all over me, wrapped around me, literally. So there's a love glutton waiting to come out.
    Only thing what concerns me is his hind feet. I've never seen any more crooked hind hooves in my entire life with horses. Horrible. I hope that can be fixed. Once he's done shedding and has his beautiful color back (right now he's just orange), I'll post pics of him. He's a big boy, too, 16.2 hh.