Quick Post

Hock Hobbles

Hock Hobbles
  •   I came out to the stable today to a horrific sight.  A horse with major leg injuries and one of my riding buddies in an ambulance. From what I heard, she was using a set of "hock hobbles" on her AQHA western pleasure mare. Apparently, this did not go well.
      Does anyone know the why and how to concerning "hock hobbles?" I've been riding in eventing with my AQHA gelding for a few years, and have never even heard of this training method. I've seen some questionable methods used in training for AQHA western "pleasure" before, but nothing like this.
      These types of hobbles are offered in almost all tack shops. Some are even endorsed by a few Big Name Trainers. I never even knew of the existence of these.
      Any info? Thanks
  • All I've heard about them is that they are used to force a horse into a Western pleasure "frame", some people even connect them to the bit so the horse's mouth is yanked on with every step just to keep the head low.  [:'(]  Sometimes they are also used for breeding too(??), no idea why. 

Another stupid training gimmick by the sound of it.
  • [':o']Holy cow!  Here's an interesting site!!  I found hock hobbles under their list of gadgets NOT to use.
    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/tack/gadgets.php

I have to say there are many trainers I respect who hobble train their horses.  Not only is it convenient for a stop in the wilderness if you don't want to or can't tie your horse...he could just graze around the area ALSO it's a huge safety thing for a horse who could one day get tangled up in rope or fencing it just teaches them to stand still and not panic.  Hobbles have their place, imo.

Nothing like what's in the link.
  • i know this post is older now but can you inlighten me as to how the person managed to become injured from their horse that was hobbled? i dont get it-you cant ride a hobbled horse, can you? why would you? sorry for being ignorant but i thought it was only used on untied grazing horses in situations where it may be hard to catch them.
  • hunterseat-i took a look at that website and some of those gadgets are crazy- i know nothing of dressage or its trainings but those things look harmful to the horse and some to the rider. plus they seem to me as useless,extras if you can really controll your horse enough to teach it.like i said i am ignorant to the disclipline of dressage. but those things are kinda scary i beleive.
  • I'm not sure but I think hock hobbles are different from just regular hobbles.  A well trained horse who accepts  hobbles is a beautiful thing.  It can save their life if they get wound up in something and will stand quietly instead of panicking and thrashing around.  Not to mention the convenience of having your horse grazing around freely.

I agree with you annie (FROM WEST VIRGINIA?  DID I KNOW THAT??? I'm from the other Va)
  • hunterseat, i am wv.born and bred. dont wish to ever live any where else. all though there is some places i would love to see sometime.ive seen alot of your posts you give good advice. and i never thought of it till you mentioned it-hobbles could save a horse by teaching it to stay still if it ever got tangled or the like. how often would you have to refresh a horse to keep the hobble training in its mind so as not to panic if it were ensnared or tangled? thanks annie234.
  • Wow.  Thanks!  I bet most of what I say here is something that I've learned here.  There have been a lot of really smart people on this forum.   What's so wonderful (to me) is we all have had things the have worked for us and not everything works for everyone.  Anyway, I'm not sure about the hobbles question, what kind of refresher training you need.  Maybe someone who practices it a lot can tell us. 
    My Zag is a former harness racer.  I don't know if it's because of all the different harness parts that have been strapped and hung on him but, when he gets stuck he normally stays still.  I fell off not long ago (not far, he was on his knees) and my first thought was "he's going to step on me" but once he got to his feet he froze stock still.  I'll show you the harness:
  • [H5]i just wondered once the horse got used to wearing hobbles if it would always remember to stand still if tangled or if maybe it should be used as a refresher from time to time even if not really needed. but i guess it all depends upon the horse and that particular situation.[/H5]
  • Although this post is now older, I'm curious to know how the individual sustained injuries from a hobbled horse. I'm a bit confused as I thought that hobbled horses were not suitable for riding. I apologize if my understanding is limited, but from what I know, hobbles are only used on grazing horses that are untethered and difficult to catch.