Quick Post

Bits

Bits

• I#%92m looking for a new bit for my three year old gelding. Right now he#%92s in a... well, it was originally a Pelham, but my neighbor cut the shanks off and turned it into a straight snaffle with very, very little leverage (or no leverage, really... since the way it#%92s ‘made#%92).
    Here#%92s a pic... I don#%92t have any of the bit out of his mouth, but it#%92s straight and about the same thickness all the way through (about as thick as the thickest part of my pinkie finger) and it has a small port.

Anyway, since his bit is a ‘made#%92 bit, I wouldn#%92t be able to use it for anything except trail riding, and since I#%92m wanting to eventually get him into barrels for my 12 year old cousin... well, you see my dilemma. I started my gelding in a loose ring jointed snaffle, but I quickly found out that he HATES jointed bits... He started shaking his head and stuff. Once I switched him to the ‘straight#%92 snaffle (for lack of better words) he became quiet and willing.

Plus, I#%92d like to get him working in a bit that I can actually buy... because right now, if his bit ever comes up missing or breaks or something... well, I#%92m ‘up the creek without a paddle#%92. I#%92ve retired the snaffle on him and he started his head shaking and fighting it... I think that he doesn#%92t like the joint... I#%92ve tried a mechanical hackamore on him (that#%92s what my mare rides in), and I#%92ve put him in a grazing bit (he hated it, plus I didn#%92t want to really ride him much in it considering it has longer shanks and I don#%92t want him to get hard mouthed).

I need some sort of straight bit, maybe with a slight port, since his current bit has a small port and he likes it (I guess it relieves the pressure off his tongue or something). I was thinking about a Kimberwick, but I#%92m not sure... I#%92d like to get him used to a short, shanked bit... and I#%92d like to keep him in something that gives a teeny bit of leverage, and it seems like a Kimberwick does that. The idea of a gag bit has also came to mind because it gives him time to think before it cues him, but I can#%92t seem to find any with really short shanks.

I#%92ll admit, I#%92m not “bit savvy”. Not at all... so I need help!
  • No... I hadn't thought of the 3-piece mouthpieces... I just know that I really don't want him in a jointed bit, and to me, they're 'jointed bits'... but maybe you're right... maybe I should check them out. I'll look at them. I just want to know all my options and be able to really think and choose a bit that he'll be really happy with.
  • I like the 3-piece or dog-bone style because you don't get that "pop" from the joint.
  • I'll have to look into them Thanks!
  • http://www.horse.com/Pro-Craft-Reining-Bit-with-Roller-WBE11.html

This is a good transition bit and even though it has shanks, it is very mild bit.  There is a lot of movement before the bit engages so the horse has a lot of warning time.   The shanks are what are called a loose shank meaning that they are not fixed in place so it also works similar to a snaffle in that you can still guide the unsure horse with direct rein should you need it.

We use this bit quite a bit when we are going between the bosal and snaffle.  Its the next step up for our training program and most horses really seem to like it once they get use to having a larger mouthpeice.  As long as his teeth are good and no wolf teeth to hit the bit on there is a whole world of possibilites when it comes to bits.
  • He's had his wolfe teeth removed.
  • i have the 3rd the bit listed i also have this bit