Quick Post

Fiberglass Tree vs. Wood Tree

Fiberglass Tree vs. Wood Tree
  • Ok so a family friend told me that fiberglass trees aren't so great for the horse's back and could crack in cold enough weather (and we get quite cold up in northern MN) So is this really true? and what about fiberglass-covered wood trees?
    Thanks
  • [quote=mickeyhorseluver]

Ok so a family friend told me that fiberglass trees aren't so great for the horse's back and could crack in cold enough weather (and we get quite cold up in northern MN) So is this really true? and what about fiberglass-covered wood trees?
    Thanks

i would not thing they would be any worse on a horses back,  as they would flex
    somewhat.  and like a wooden tree if they fit the horse.  Saddle blankets also
    fit into this topic.   Actually I think I read where the McCullen saddle was actually the
    best because it is open down the middle and puts no pressure on the horses spine

Now for the fiberglass covered wood trees.    I think woodpeckers would be slightly  put out.   [':D']
  • [quote=SecondChance]
    Now for the fiberglass covered wood trees.    I think woodpeckers would be slightly  put out.   [':D']

lol haha[8D] thanks!
  • Every saddle that I have seen with a fiberglass tree has been a poorly made saddle.  Yes, they are worse for a horses back and can change shape in extreme heat as well as extreme cold.

Fiberglass over wood is a better bet, but the best saddles usually have a rawhide covered wood tree.  This is very sturdy, but they have to be made right.

The ralide trees are just run off an assembly line.  The flex trees are more for the persons peace of mind than the horse.

When I shop for a saddle, I look for the rawhide/wood combo, but I also have a fiberglass/wood combo in my barn that does ok.  The plastic trees work well for some horses, but the fit is always going to be the most important thing.  I personally would stay away from the solid fiberglass trees.
  • [quote=mickeyhorseluver]

Ok so a family friend told me that fiberglass trees aren't so great for the horse's back and could crack in cold enough weather (and we get quite cold up in northern MN) So is this really true? and what about fiberglass-covered wood trees?
    Thanks

I had a little lesson from a saddle maker out in SD a few months ago.  She didn't really feel there was a whole lot of difference between a rawhide wrapped wood tree or a fiberglass wrapped wood tree, other than the weight.  with the fiberglass wrapped one being lighter.  Her thoughts were that the material the saddle is made of is not nearly important as the fit.  BUT she also thought that too many people get caught up in the finer "science" of saddle fitting (which is another thread completely). 

As for cracking, I guess it would depend on where you store it and how nice you are to it... if you leave it in an unheated tack room for weeks while it is well below 0 and then drop it on the concrete floor, it probably will crack... just like almost anything else.  If you keep it in a slightly warmer tackroom and handle it gently it should probably be fine.  Remember the heat coming off the horse is going to warm it up quite a lot. 
  • Just get the best saddle ya can afford.

I'll go into debt to get a decent saddle.

When my kids were teen agers I bought several saddles. In the $500.00 to $700.00 price range new.
    Them boys were wearing out a saddle a year. Now we would resell them as used they still looked good but the leather and stitching was wearing.

We kept 40 to 50 head of horses and them boys rode several horses a day.

If ya buy cheap because that's all ya can afford at the time plan on a few thing.

The saddle may sore your horse

It may sore you

It wont last long

You wont be happy

Just to hard to tell sometimes what your horse thinks until he pitches ya.

Quality wood trees are designed more for the horse than for the "Horse market"

You wont be sorry.
  • Fiberglass Trees are sometimes referred to in two ways:

1) Ralide Trees are not True Fiberglas but a special polymer polyethylene resin, many refer to them as fiberglass, but that is misleading, they will not crack.

2) Import Trees form India are normally hollow fiberglass, sometimes called fiber-tuff, they will crack and break!

A Wood Tree that is covered in a fiberglass matting and resin, will not crack because of cold, in fact a wood tree with fiberglass matte and resin covering is stronger than a bull-hide covered wood tree!

This fiberglass matte and resin is very similar to the materials used to make boats, do they crack ?, not unless they hit another boat ':)'

Hope this clears up any questions.
  • A wooden tree is what i have alway know.....i think the wooden tree would last longer than fiber glass...I have alway herd fiberglass trees are the cheap way out. For a good well made saddle they will all have a wooden trees.