Quick Post

No rub/padded halters?

No rub/padded halters?
  • Do they work?  I think I like the idea of the neoprene best... I can just see a fleece one getting covered in dirt and ouchy stuff.  The nearest dedicated tack shop is about 2 hours away so I'll be ordering online which I hate bc I'm one of those people that likes to touch everything before I buy it.  Anyone have one?  what kind is it and how do you like it?
  • Well I have one that I think is neoprene, and it did work for a little while, but i think it's just the same as nylon halters personally.  So I would rather go with the nylon halters.  I agree with you not wanting fleece, I would be so scared to use it, because I know it would get DIRTY lol.  So thats my take, I personally don't think it's really worth the extra cash, but I'm one that likes to save every last penny.
  • A quality, well oiled leather halter will not rub.  There are also padded leather halters on the market.
  • i have a halter with padding inside i realy like it i only use it when im trailering but yes it was alittle pricey i think i paid 25 or 30 for it but i have had it for 4 years now and it still looks great....and i have a leather padded halter one now that halter cost around 50 for me but it comes in handy as well and looks nice
  • I ordered some padded webbed halters when I first got my horses.  They were VERY inexpensive and I got what I paid for.   I don't leave halters on my horses so they really don't get a chance to rub anyway.  Plus I use rope a lot nowdays. I DO want to get some leather ones, however.  I want to start using head bumpers in the trailer - just bought 2.  I have a couple of web halters but...
  • [':)']  I bought 2 padded halters the other day.  Another horse supply website had them on sale.  I got a nylon one and a leather one.  I will report back when they get here. 
  • [quote=samsara]

[':)']  I bought 2 padded halters the other day.  Another horse supply website had them on sale.  I got a nylon one and a leather one.  I will report back when they get here. 

They're here! They're here! Well, according to UPS they're here.  Too bad I'm stuck at work until 10 and won't be able to try them out til tomorrow.  I&nbsp';p'laced a pretty big order so I am VERY excited to get home and play with my new things! 
  • OH!  Let us know! 
    Wanted to say I used my head bumper on Zag in a flat halter and the therapist met us at the stable where we'd trailered for a lesson.  She was working on Zag and I didn't have a rope halter with me and that buzzard was SO bad!!!  He'd barely listen to me!  UGH!  No more flat halter.  But I DO like the head bumper.
  • Well, they're here and I like them but I haven't gotten out to try them on him.  I'm a bit concerned they might be too big... I bought the oversized ones because Reidar has such a big fat head but now I am wondering if they might be too big. 
    I really like the padding in them, it's not very thick and it's much softer than I anticipated.  I think it's neoprene... very squishy.  The leather one is a bit stiff and hard to buckle but it seems to be good quality leather and I think it should soften up a little over time.
    We'll try them out this weekend and I'll post pics.
  • They fit!  I'm so happy!  The leather one needs some conditioning I think as it is still quite stiff and doesn't lay quite right on his face.  The green one lays a bit lopsided too.  But they fit