Quick Post

Protecting leather saddle for trails?

Protecting leather saddle for trails?
  • I'm going trail riding over the 4th on trails that I don't know. I originally would just go bareback, but since I don't know the trails I'd perfer the security of my saddle.
    Is there anything I can put on my saddle to protect it from the branches? It's leather and I don't want it to get all scratched up.

I looked at a local tack shop and she could order covers for me, but she said the elastic might rub....any ideas?

If I can't think of something then I'll probably just see if I can borrow someone's saddle for the trails as mine is an expensive one. But I don't really want to do that if I don't have to.
  • Hmmm.....  Leather is pretty resilient.  BUT there are covers.  They're more for rain protection, I think.
  • I'm not worried as much as water as branches scratching it up or poking holes in it...mainly by the knee rolls. I'm OCD at the moment with the saddle. Once I have it for a few months then I won't be but it's something that I always do haha.
  • I'm OCD at the moment with the saddle. Once I have it for a few months then I won't be

I WASN'T GOING TO GO THERE!  [':D']
  • Well.... i know how it is to have OCD over a new saddle and your not gonna like what i'm going to say but.... its a saddle its gonna get a little banged up i mean whats the point of keeping it perfect? Aw come on girl a couple of scratches make it "homey".
    But its an english saddle and unless you go through some serious bryers its fairly small so it won't get messed up. So if you just want to be on the OCD safe side put a cover on it.

.... the elastic might rub.....honey its not like its rope it won't rub and even if it did a little bit you can always polish it out.