Quick Post

Mounting Aides

Mounting Aides
  • I'm looking for a mounting aide that works well on the trail.  I know it's not only is bad for the horses back (especially when you're not thin and nimble) but it's bad for our backs as well to mount from the ground especially onto a taller horse and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm just not strong enough to do it.

Eventually I plan on riding alone, and my horse MAY take a step when I'm attempting to use the typical tree branch/mounting block/fence/trailer bumper/picnic bench, etc.  While this behavior is unacceptable and would be immediately corrected, I would much rather just not risk falling flat on my face. 

Plus, when I have to pee on the trail I always have to hold it because I'm afraid I won't be able to remount and I'll be embarrassed.  

Do any of you have personal experience with mounting aides that can also be used on the trail?  If so what were they?  It seems as though most of them are the same, and you place your left foot in the extended stirrup and then place your right foot in the stirrup and swing the opposite leg over?
  • ** correction, I had my left and rights wrong there, that happens, sorry guys ':D'
    ETA: wait or do I?  See this is what happens to someone who is dyslexic while trying to imagine how it would work after taking migraine medication that induces fatigue.  I should just go to bed.  Sorry everyone ':('
  • In my English saddle I just let the stirrup way down. There are stirrup extenders you can stick on your stirrup to give you a lower step. OR you can put the horse down hill and hope he stands still. Or teach him to lay down like in the horse training videos. YEAH! Or is he lowers his head and lets you sit behind his ears then he throws his head up, tossing you into the saddle!  (I took some of the same stuff) [':D']
  • I guess I just always looks for a slope, rock or something.  My gelding is 18 hands and I need at least 8" "help" to get on him.  I'd love to teach him to kneel!!
  • or, like a TWH, teach your horse to stretch out when being mounted.  This keeps the horse still and puts the back closer to the ground
  • [quote=hunterseat]

In my English saddle I just let the stirrup way down. There are stirrup extenders you can stick on your stirrup to give you a lower step. OR you can put the horse down hill and hope he stands still. Or teach him to lay down like in the horse training videos. YEAH! Or is he lowers his head and lets you sit behind his ears then he throws his head up, tossing you into the saddle!  (I took some of the same stuff) [':D']

ONE OF THOSE!
    Those would definitely be the easiest I'm sure. ':D'

I'll look into a stirrup extender, it would be good to have on hand in case she doesn't stand still.  Being a mare, she has her moments.  I almost always use a mounting block, or something to help me up, but I'd like to something I could basically always have on me so I don't have to worry.

Although everything I did read last night says you have to train your horse to use the stirrup extenders as well, which is all fine and dandy.  It just makes me want to ride in an english saddle again, I just need to find one which would be comfortable for trail riding. &nbsp';P'lus, I feel pretty disconnected from her and that she would respond to be better if I had closer contact with her body.