Quick Post

Synthetic saddles?

Synthetic saddles?
  • I have been looking for a fairly cheap saddle, and have been looking at the Abetta endurance aire-grip saddle. The only thing is I've heard that they are only good for riding every once in a while, and that you can use them all day every day..... I can ride from 1hr to 4+hrs a day. What are your opinions?
  • I had an Abetta saddle for my Arabian, Taz, and rode rough trails all day in it. Was very comfy. They are the best of the inexpensive synthetic saddle world. But you have to make sure it fits your horse! I was able to return an Abetta saddle from Horse.com that I ordered and was too big for my horse. Free return shipping. Just had to be very careful to not get a SINGLE HAIR on it. Placed a bedsheet over the horse before placing the saddle on to check for fit. If you know what size tree fits your horse you have a good place to start. Most Abetta saddles are built on a full QH bar, the semi QH ones are out there but harder to find. They have some wonderful odd-sizes such as Arabian, gaited horse and draft horse sizes. The draft horse tree is just that - was the one I returned (too wide for my extra chunky Haflinger!) They also have flex trees available in full QH bar. Different styles of seats, too, depending on what kind of riding you are doing. I had an endurance/ trail style for my Arabian and liked it very much.
  • We have an Abetta barrel racing saddle (daughter's horse doesn't tolerate regular fenders or whatever they're called) and it is a light, useful saddle that we've used a lot.  Very comfortable, easy to clean.
  • I have an Abetta which I've used for many years.  After awhile the jockeys got soft and I can feel the D ring beneath which made my leg sore.  Definitely a great saddle for the money!
  • As long as the saddle fits your horse and you are comfortable in it, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it as much as you wanted.  Synthetic saddles have a lot of good things going for them - they're affordable, easy to take care of, and durable.  I rode my mare in one for years and, apart from some smushed-down padding underneath, it still looks almost brand new.  I prefer the look and feel of a leather saddle, but I have no complaints against synthetics.  They're practical and frequently very comfortable, and when they start to age, they're not expensive so they're easy to replace.  They're also far more lightweight, which makes it easier on you and the horse.  I say go for it!
  • I have an endurance style synthetic Circle Y. I really like this saddle and used it a lot in years past. My horse has matured very large and the saddle is now to narrow. I would sell it if you are interested. If you are let me know - I will get some pictures for you.
  • BRISCO!!!  Landa thunder! [':D']

I want your saddle!  No no no no no....  evil voice in my head... I'm trying to sell a couple!!
  • Well my Dad got my a nice leather saddle and so I don't need it anymore. Although I will probably end up getting one later but thanks for all the help! When I do get another one I'll probably get this one