Quick Post

Saddle Slipping

Saddle Slipping
  • My horse is a quarab but she is also built down hill. I have a very very light weight saddle that I can lift with one arm. The only trouble I have is it slips/slides When I put it on I tighten the girth until it is snug if I go any farther before she would move and show signs of discomfort but when you get into the saddle the weight pushes it down making the girth loose and being downhill it move forward a little. She is still growing and her shape must have changed as I didn't have this problem so much before. I was riding around and she did a sharp turn and the saddle slipped. I landed in a sand pile. She didn't run away just stopped and at grass where I laid wondering how I got down there. Now she refuses to go faster than a trot if it is loose. Nice warning system and she lets me tighten it a whole lot more before I get on unlike before she would move off. Guess she doesn't want the drama of me falling off again. I am constantly checking it as usual when I ride but.. I'm just wondering how much can I tighten the girth without causing her discomfort? Anything else I can do to stop the saddle from slipping?
  • We had a very round little pony and there were non-slip pads we got to put on him but his girth was tight enough, he was just roly poly.......  I have read that in a study, no matter how tight the girth was, it didn't affect a horse's ability to breathe.  Glad you had a soft landing!

• I had a instructor who just taught me to pull it as tight as possible and as far as it can go "for safety". Clyde didn't seem to care but When the instructor turned the other way I'd loosened it ':P', such a great student.Clyde nice high withers so the saddle wouldn't slip even if the girth was a bit on the loose end.Her body shape is so different. Maybe non-slip pads would help.Thanks.