Quick Post

Should I use boots?

Should I use boots?
  • Well here goes nothing. I have an 8 year old QH/TB gelding he hold shoes for about 11-13 weeks, however i have noticed that he is clipping his front legs with the hind ones. Should I get sport boots? I have never seen him do it before this summer. I have noticed he has somewhat large sores where he hits them together. He has a VERY long stride also.
  • come on ppl! if you  are looking at it that much comment! lol i woulod love some ideas!
  • I would.  My TB does the same thing.
  • Are sport boots bell boots? Yes, absolutely get them.

Also tell your farrier what he's doing. A good farrier can go a long ways towards correcting forging.
  • OK i think i probably will, i meant bell boots and or medicine boots if you have any other boot suggestions please tell me! i've never had to have boots on my  other horses! PM if u have some ideas too.
  • If he is starting to cip himself I would definately get some Bell boots. Easter started to do this suddenly too and we aren't sure why. I would rather prevent an injury than fix one. That is how I look at it. May also save you shoeing costs if the shoes stay on longer. I have seen some really pretty colors. I chose not to get the big rubber Bell boots cause they clunk when she walks and it spooks her., I got the smaller more tight fitting ones and they seem to do fine. Not too expensive either.
  • ok cool.I was riding yesterday and his feet were bleeding because of it. ':('
  • Then you most certainly need some boots in him. Poor guy. Check Tack of the day site. They sometimes have them really cheap. Can you use Vet Wrap until you get a pair.. Just thinking out loud here. Good luck..
  • yeah i feel sooooooo bad for him! i'm going to try not to run him until i get some
  • Bell boots definately, you may need to get pull ons so he has them on all the time if he is hitting in the pasture too.

You need to have him trimmed more than 11-13 weeks, move to around 8 weeks.  Tell your farrier what is going on and he can roll some toes.

Jake travels really really close.  Even when he is barefoot we roll his back toes so he does not have any issues.  I always put boots on him even when we are just trail riding.