Quick Post

One Ear Headstall

One Ear Headstall
  • I've had my horse in a one ear headstall since I've had her.  She has a very small head and it's always been just a little loose.  We've used a leather punch to snug it up, but the way it's made I can't get it to fit quite right. Riding her was kinda of like driving a grain truck, however now that we're riding more I'd like a little better steering. I found another one that looks like I could adjust it better, but it doesn't have a throat latch like my current one.  What roll does the throat latch play?  I've thought about using a browband headstall, but I'm afraid it would be harder to fit to her. 
  • I have always hated one eared headstalls. The only purpose of a throatlatch is to keep a headstall from being rubbed off. You can do a couple of things to try and get a small enough headstall. (I've done each of these at different times.) 1) Go to a decent (meaning kind of large) tack or tack and feed store and go through all of the headstalls until you find the smallest they have. 2) Go online (or in a store) and find Arabian tack. 3) If you are riding English, buy a "Cob" sized headstall.
  • I to hate one ear headstalls or any thing that does not have a brow band. The throat latch is there to proven the horse from rubbing or throwing the head stall off. I would not recommend an ear headstall innless you plan on showing. If you are out on the trail and your horse somehow manages to get it off or it comes off. You could get hurt. I have seen a lot of people get hurt over the years due to ear headstall.
                Have you tried putting Arabian tack on her? That should be small enough to fit. If not then she has a very small head and might go to pony sized. But I don#%92t think she would not fit Arabian tack.
  • Is it a fixed ear one ear bridle or one with a movable piece?  I like them, but use the ones with the movable ear piece and prefer a throat latch for safety.
  • I always use a browband but either my horses are brainy or something because sometimes I have to order a larger browband to make the cheekpiece sit below their eye bones.  I agree that an Arab size might work but sometimes, like w/ my draft cross, you just have to buy piece by piece to get what fits your horse rather than the one size fits all small, medium, large.  I have to use a warmblood headstall with a draft cavesson and noseband and a draft browband plus extra long reins!  Works though ':)'
  • you just have to buy piece by piece to get what fits your horse rather than the one size fits all small, medium, large. I have to use a warmblood headstall with a draft cavesson and noseband and a draft browband plus extra long reins

Reidar's bridle is a mish-mash of stuff too... most of it is draft size except if I'm using split reins they have to be extra short or they drag and with gaming reins or english ones they have to be on the long side or they don't fit around his fat neck. 
    A leather punch is not a bad investment... then you can customize stuff.
    I'm not a fan of the one eared headstall either.