Quick Post

Spurs...

Spurs...
  • Hello people...

I've always found spurs a very intresting theme to discuss about. So I thought: why not make a thread out of it to discuss spurs and their right use. For that I want to throw in some questions:

1) Do you use spurs? Why/why not?
    2) What kind of spurs do you use? Why? 
    3) What do you think is the reason behind the usage of spurs?
    4) How often do you use them?
    5) When did you "earn" them? When do you think someone should be allowed to use spurs?
    6) What do you think of spurs in general? What else do you want to throw in? Thoughts?

I ride english and sometimes use spurs but normally I don't often. I use ;pi=710069&ci=247449' target='_blank' title='http://www.kraemer-pferdesport.de/Gentle-Contact-Sporen.htm?websale7=kraemer-pferdesport&pi=710069&ci=247449'>Gentle Contact Spurs . I mostly use spurs to give more specific and lighter aids. Why I don't use them too often is because I don't want to dull my horse and want him to be ridden well through the leg, only then use spurs. I think spurs aren't for "go" they are more for refinment of aids, especially lateral. As I said, I use them mainly to get my gelding lighter. I earned them after I got a more secure seat and had my legs under control and felt where my legs are. I think nobody should be allowed to use spurs until he can control a horse without them and keep a steady leg even in unusual situations. But mostly when the rider has nicely turned in toes. Nothing worse than having to cue your horse with your heel. So using the thigh is very important IMO. I think spurs aren't bad for the horse at all if you use them correctly. It's even better to be able to give the horse a light and gentle command with the spur than having constant pressure and kicking with your leg. So I'm not completely against spurs if you can use them without hurting your horse.

So, that's up for discussion, would LOVE to hear your thoughts :)
  • I use spurs from time to time.  They seem to help Reidar understand exactly what I want better.
    I use Prince of Whales spurs.  They don't look as intimidating as some others.
    I use them to reduce how "big" my cues are.  They seem to be more effective at communicating lateral movements than just my boot.
    Not all the time.  When we're working on lateral movements in the alfalfa field (arena)
    I didn't "earn" spurs.  I was taking a riding class in college and the instructor told me to go get spurs to use for a particular horse.  I told her I didn't know how to use them and she told me to just put them on and use my leg like normal.  [':o']  I have since had proper instruction on how to use spurs and feel more confident using them.
    Reidar has always been pretty deadsided...spurs help me be more exact in my leg cues with him.  I like them when we're doing "work" if we're just moseying down the driveway then I leave them at the barn.
  • I've used spurs about twice.  Once when riding a particular horse in a lesson and the owner/instructor insisted.  I was glad I did but this horse was dull sided for sure! (to borrow your term)  The other time I don't really remember but I seem to remember another time.  good one beth....
    I've done okay without them.  I prefer a crop to wake them up and get them to respond to my leg.