Quick Post

Flex Trees

Flex Trees
  • Okay what's everyone opinions, and personal experience with them?

I've heard from other people that they have caused alot of problems with horse's backs and many many many other things. I've heard that if you are above a certain weight, flex trees are not for you.

What is your personal experience with them? Can you post pics of your horse being ridden in them?
    What brand of saddle do you use that has a flex tree in? Or what one have you tried.

Thanks a ton!
  • Sonny- I do not own a flex tree, but have ridden in a few and did not like them.  I just didn't like how they move.

Flex-trees and treeless saddles are not for beginner riders.  I have also heard about if you are above a certain weight you should not ride in one.

All that being said I have a few friends who use them, swear by them, and love them.
  • What exactly didn't you like about how they moved?

I'm not a beginner rider and what I mainly ride in is a bareback pad (just so I don't get my jeans dirty lol...but I can ride 100% bareback also no problems). The weight is more what I'm thinking of. I'm not fat...but I"m not skinny...I'm mediumish weight but not sure what weight the flex trees would recommend.

I have emailed the company of the saddle that I really want to get (can't afford though), and asked them if they have had any problems or complains with their flex tree that they use. I have not heard back yet, but hopefully I will soon. If I don't hear back from them in about a week or two, I'll call them.
  • Since you ride bareback it probably won't bother you.

I felt like I was feeling every single movement and felt like I lost focus on what I need to focus on.  I weigh 160 lbs  and felt like I was pounding the horses back.  One of my previous horses behaved like and @$$ when I rode him in the flex-tree and was fine with a regular saddle.

Again, that is just my opinion.
  • Thanks for your feedback!
    I am still unsure of what to get. I am almost thinking that just getting a wooden tree would be the way to go...technically wood is somewhat flexible, right?

The flex tree I wanted I cannot get, a saddle company owns the rights to it, so of course all information in general is classified grrrrrrrr

What I mainly am looking for is something that can move a bit with my horse's movements. I like to be able to feel his movements under me, which is why I like bareback...but I don't want a tree that could cause problems with his back or anything like that. I had problems with my last saddle making it uncomfortable for him, so I don't want it to happen again
  • My biggest fear with them in over flexing them. I was told they aren't good for team penning because you flex them to much.
    matt
  • over flexing in what spot? or everywhere?

I know one saddle brand recommends flex trees (the Ralide Flex Tree to be specific) for reining, but not sure how good it would be for long trails or extremely hilly trails
  • over flexing in what spot? or everywhere? I know one saddle brand recommends flex trees (the Ralide Flex Tree to be specific) for reining, but not sure how good it would be for long trails or extremely hilly trails

It was a older circle Y flex tree and they said im lucky i didnt destroy it with the flexing i was making it do. So i have no clue where. Sorry
    matt
  • ah ok. Yeah I haven't heard too much good about the Circle Y flex trees, but I really liked their Walnut Grove flex tree.
    http://www.circley.com/catalog6.shtml
    First one pictured
    It's a flex tree, but it's also a wade flex tree, which I really like

Anyone know where Circle Y gets their flex trees from?
  • I have a 5 yr old circle y, original flex lite saddle that I love,  I have never felt that it flexs enough to feel it while riding, it just feels like a good riding saddle.  I have heard the rumors of heavy riders not being a good idea, but I ain't little and a friend that is 275lb rides in one and my hubby who is 225lb, we have never had a sore horse.

Now the saddle you are looking at is the flex 2, it is suppose to be the new and improved flex tree,  I assume whatever problems they ran into with the first ones the flex 2 has taken care of.
  • Yeah I've emailed them and have asked about their flex tree, but I've had no responce from them ':('
  • Sonny,

I have a Flex2, Circle-Y ELK RIDGE, similar to the Walnut Grove. This rig also has an A-Fork for high withered horses. On different horses, I can look down the tunnel and see daylight all the way.

I bought this rig for my 15.0hh Rocky Mountain, nice withers, short back, and he moved very well with it. I also used this on a 16.2hh Thoroughbred school horse, high withers and so used it with a thicker pad, also worked well. Finally, am now using this on a 15.2hh Paint, prominent withers, short back, and again find this rig working well on horses with shorter backs and well-defined to prominent withers. Not a universal rig by any means, but if your Paint is "typical", I will recommend you look into the Flex2.

My Flex2 is very comfy, 5" cantle, A-fork produces a narrow swell of about 9" wide. It has gaited bars, my understanding  from the shop I bought from that these flair out a bit more near the shoulder. I am 6-ft, 210 lbs, seat is a 17", yet this rig is fairly light at 28 lbs, 26" long. Provides a secure seat for me.

www.horsesaddleshop.com has a nice selection of Circle-Y flex2 rigs.

Arikaree
    ps: am a first year rider, and so relied heavily on my riding instructor and horse trainer for advice.

• Hi everyone, I just bought new from a ebay store a 2004 "highhorse lockhart easyfit flex tree, park and trail by circle y!" Think thats enough names?
    Anyway...I tried it out yesterday for a three hour or so trail ride, It seemed to fit my my spanish arab/paint but it did sit low on her withers for a regular tree, I felt a bit unstable on it, and it may have made my back sore but ive been working out so that could be the reason.  After I took it off she was wet all over but a thin stripe down the length of her withers I'm using a pro choice older pad, it's like memory foam about 3/4 inch think.I am undecided about keeping it. I've heard stories about heavy riders cant ride them due to the saddle "v-ing" I'm not huge but heavy enough it sounds for this to occur if it's true. On the other hand I have a friend who has used flex trees for 10 years and loves them! I am going to try it again today, I think it will be ok for trail so we'll see.

[quote=SonnyWimps]

Okay what's everyone opinions, and personal experience with them?

I've heard from other people that they have caused alot of problems with horse's backs and many many many other things. I've heard that if you are above a certain weight, flex trees are not for you.

What is your personal experience with them? Can you post pics of your horse being ridden in them?
    What brand of saddle do you use that has a flex tree in? Or what one have you tried.

Thanks a ton!

• [quote=laceypony]
    I felt a bit unstable on it, and it may have made my back sore but ive been working out so that could be the reason.

I can't imagine feeling unstable on a circle y western, but that is the only saddle I have had for 5 yrs,  then  I recently bought a Aussie for a spare saddle and I like but I really don't trust it,  because I feel unstable on it with those puffy serge panels.

Guess maybe it has alot to do with the style you are used to riding on too.
  • IMO there is only one safe Western Flex Tree, that is from Ralide, they have no weight limit and have never been known to hurt a Horse.

Circle Y had a Flex Tree 6-7 years ago they had to take off the market, because of hurting Horse, I still do not trust the new ones.

Steel make a flex tree and it has weight limits, too much weight and it overflexes and can hurt the horse.

As someone said, Wood Trees have a Natural Flex that is one of the great properties of wood.

CJ