Quick Post

Need boot recommendations

Need boot recommendations
  • I've been trying to get Cody, my big guy to go shoeless but after 2 mos. the slightest pebble has him gimping.  I was thinking if I invested in a good pair of boots, that might work and be cheaper.  Does anyone have any experience with them and what are good brands?
  • I like the Old Macs.
    We are going to try Cavellas. They seem like they may be easy. They are less expensive than Old Macs.
    Both Old Macs and Cavellas open wide for slipping on the hoof. Old Macs open clear up allowing you to see how the hoof is fitting in to the boot. I do like that. Invest in the pastern wraps made to go with the boots.
    I don't like Easy Boots or Boas. 

I think boots are a good alternative to shoes for trail riding. Buy from a local shop. Makes it easier to exchange for size.
  • I have the Easyboot Bares and they are like night and day for my tender footed TB on gravel. The only issue is getting on or off, however, they NEVER fall off and do not allow anything to get into the boot.  They actually have a newer model out now called Gloves which are easier to get on and off, even better fitting because they are actually like a glove so sizing/measuring is important.  The nice thing about the EasyBoot brand is you get a huge discount doing a Trade-Up.  I get 50% off the Gloves if I send in the Bares.  So if you want to go to a better model, you get to trade up on the ones you have and save money.  They come with the pastern wraps - not a separate purchase.  Check out their website. 
  • Thanks for the recommendations.  I won't be able to buy any at local tack stores because Cody is draft and they never carry big enough sizes but it helps to know what other people like when you are buying them.  I'm getting so frustrated whenever we come to a slightly rocky or graveled area and feel bad for him.  We have lots of rocks here in Southern Cal and it's hard to move out when we're tiptoeing through the rocks!  I'll look up the Cavellas and Easy Boots and see if they come in XXL!!
  • I know the for and against arguments are really hot when it comes to barefoot.  I respect opinions on both sides.  BUT my natural trimmer was telling us that Alexander the Great put rocks in his horses stalls.  They pretty much lived on rocks.  Then on the battlefield, his horses were the heartiest out there.  Steve suggests putting rocks around the water tank so they have to walk on it to get water and it toughens up their feet.  I can relate cuz Zag is seriously ouchie on any kind of gravel, even AFTER being in a barefoot trim for years.  BUT he's living on the equivelant of carpet so....  remember our feet in summer as kids?  Tough as leather.  I'll be getting Zag boots soon, too, so I'm glad you started this thread!  Steve recommended Boas, too, so that's interesting that someone doesn't like them.  I don't always agree with Steve (sorry if you read this Steve - you're still the hunkiest man in my life!)  My horses' feet are entirely in Steve's hands.... lucky things. [':D']
  •  [quote=hunterseat]

I know the for and against arguments are really hot when it comes to barefoot.  I respect opinions on both sides.  BUT my natural trimmer was telling us that Alexander the Great put rocks in his horses stalls.  They pretty much lived on rocks.  Then on the battlefield, his horses were the heartiest out there.  Steve suggests putting rocks around the water tank so they have to walk on it to get water and it toughens up their feet.  I can relate cuz Zag is seriously ouchie on any kind of gravel, even AFTER being in a barefoot trim for years.  BUT he's living on the equivelant of carpet so....  remember our feet in summer as kids?  Tough as leather.  I'll be getting Zag boots soon, too, so I'm glad you started this thread!  Steve recommended Boas, too, so that's interesting that someone doesn't like them.  I don't always agree with Steve (sorry if you read this Steve - you're still the hunkiest man in my life!)  My horses' feet are entirely in Steve's hands.... lucky things. [':D']

I agree with this. When I bought my horse and had a vet check on him to make sure he was sound, the vet said I would need shoes on him if I was to ride him outside and especially if I was to ride him on gravel, since he was tender footed on the sole during the hoof tests. I got a barefoot trimmer (a farrier that specialized in barefoot hooves), and I haven't had to have a shoe on him or boots. Not only that but I'd go up almost every day to ride him, and to get up to the arena, we had to walk up a gravel walk way that was at least 100ft long if not more. And now we go on trails for hours which have alot of rocky terrain. His hooves are hard because he's used to walking on that type of ground.

I have no experience with boots since I've never used them, but my old farrier always recommended the EasyBoots.
  • www.easycareinc.com     

This link is for the Old Macs and other Easy Boot hoof boots, they provide sizing for each of their boots. The Old Macs and Old Macs G2 probably don't come in a large enough size for your draft, but their other boots may.

We just bought the EasyBoot BOA, for the same reason you are looking -- rocks, but am waiting for things to dry out a bit before putting them on for the first time and seeing how the horses respond. We bought because of our trainer's long experience with Easy Boots (for school & trail horses), also looked at the Cavellas for price, reputation and ease of putting them on.

Best of luck.