Quick Post

Horse Trailers with living quarters

Horse Trailers with living quarters
  • Hi,  I am trying to decide on which brand of horse trailer to purchase, is an all aluminum trailer really worth the expense compared to a steel frame with aluminum skin?   Does anyone having any recommendations?   I have been leaning towards an Elite, but do I get more for my money with maybe a Trailswest or something along those lines?  I am pulling my hair out!!  I do need a 3-4 horse gooseneck with L.Q.
  •   My most important criteria even before brands would be weight.  How much trailer can my truck handle loaded?  That will eliminate certain construction and size right off the bat.  All aluminum really does not save any overall weight over a combo construction. For the $$, you're ahead with a steel frame with aluminum skin.  If you're looking used, there are some great deals (20K range) in my market.   Buy one that's in a good hay market, fill it with nice hay and sell the hay when you get to TX to pay for the fuel to go get it. 

You can learn alot by trolling the parking lot at a rodeo and checking out what they are pulling.  Not only seeing brands side by side but #s won't lie.  If there is a preponderance of 2 or 3 brands, look into those first.  

• Steal does add weight. I have a all steel goose neck trailer  with a tack area up front, that im converting into a sleeping area. It is HEAVY. If I were to buy another one i would get all aluminum. What you need to look for is can your truck handle it.

Steel can take more damage before breaking. Is stronger, so is better for wilder horses. **All steal trailer can be welded** But steel rusts you have to keep on top of the rust.

Steal framed w/ aluminum there is less weight, still got the some steal for support. **cant be welded** you have to watch and keep on top of the rust. You have to make sure the rivets are still holding, not broke.

Aluminum lighter then steal. not as strong as steal, but still holds up great. Dont have to worry as much about rust. **Aluminum can be welded to aluminum**

L.Q. will add weight. Find out how much your truck can pull, and how much more diesel your truck will take the more weight you get.
  • There are some great suggestions here.

First you do need to know what your truck can haul comfortably, not just haul, but do so without being over burdened.
    Look at what is out there being used.  This is different in each area of the country but that is usually based on availability in the area.
    I usually look at resale, steel is harder to resell than alum.

There are certain brands that I would avoid.  Please remember that cheap is usually cheap for a reason.  There are also some great deals on used trailers.

• Anyone have an opinion on Elite trailers?  We have found a good used 2007 (barely used), but have to drive a ways to pick it up.
  • We have an Elite-- 1999 and it's still in great shape

They are really nice-- top of the line Trailers--
    In my opinion -the best trailers are:

Elite     , 4 Star and Plantium

• I personally would not own a 4-star if you gave it to me.

I have a Featherlite and love it.  I had a Sundowner before and I will say they are not made like they used to be at all.

I have heard mixed reviews on Elite, some love them some, not so much.
  • Ya, I have heard that the 4-Stars are not what they used to be.  They made some structural cuts after 2006 or so.  I know that Featherlites have been around for a while, but I was not sure about their quality, I thought that they might be more in line with Kiefer trailers, no?  Maybe I need to take a look.  What negatives have you heard about the Elite trailers?
  • I looked at your profile and I see that you like trail riding and camping, your my kind of horse person!!  I am really leaning towards this Elite if I can find a bank that will finance a USED horse trailer at a descent interest rate.
  • Does anyone have an opinion about Hart trailers?  The LQ in the Elite wasn't what I thought it would be.  Now I'm looking at a Hart.  Any opinions?