Quick Post

Anyone every use Cashel Soft Saddle?

Anyone every use Cashel Soft Saddle?
  • I'm curious about purchasing one and hope that some people hear can give me some opinions about it. I'm looked into this after hearing about it and I'm curious if this is really worth it. The Austrailian saddle that I've been looking at is about 200 more and debating if I should wait to get the traditional saddle or will I be happy with the soft saddle.
  • Yes!  I have one and it's great for what it is.  You can't compare it with ANYTHING because it really is unique. 
    I love my Australian saddle.  You can't beat it for security.  However, my Aussie has a VERY hard seat so I'll be getting a seat saver one of these days. 
    Although the soft saddle has a pad now, you don't have to buy one or use one.  I never do.  I replaced the stirrups and still think bad thoughts every time I have to adjust the stirrup length.  They might have improved design on those by now.
    I'm an English rider and feel very secure on the soft saddle.  It's very easy, extremely lightweight and frees up shoulder movement for horses.  I've found horses enjoy it.  Probably for long rides - all day - you might appreciate more structure but I have friends who ride bareback all day so....  IF you are building confidence, getting used to a new horse, have one who might be spooky (unless you're accustomed to that behavior) OR if you're a die hard hang-onto-the-horn western rider then you'd be happier with an Aussie, imo.  For simplicity and fun trail riding, you can't beat a foam saddle.  (it's quite a conversation starter!)
    Confused? [':D']
  • The stirrups are a pain.

Other than that, I enjoy mine for short rides around the neighborhood or if my ride is going to be mostly flat-land.  If I get into more serious riding and get into the hills, I do prefer my treeless saddle for that because my Cashel slips forward while going down steep hills and next thing I know I feel like I am on my horse's neck.  However, this may be due to the shape of my barrels-trying-to-pass-for-horses.  LOL. 

The cashel is extremely comfortable  with the thick foam, but it does get some getting used too.  Good balance is key.

Oh - Cashel is also very supportive.  I bought mine used and it had a plastic piece missing.  I asked cashel about ordering the piece to fix it and they just sent me a replacement for free.  It was very nice to see a company back their product even if someone bought it used. 
  • thanks for the info - after searching around online I actually found the aussie saddle for about the same price as the cashel! And since my main use will be trail riding I figured I'd go with the aussie saddle for now. Thanks for the replies they helped alot.
  • I am glad to hear that you went with the aussie saddle.  I rode out in the back country (a lot of up and down) for years with an aussie saddle,  it was the best.  They also make a saddle pad that has the same shape and actually ties to the saddle (no slippage) and if you do any hill or mountain riding, they also make a special breat strap.  Hope you enjoy your saddle.
  • I gave the Soft Saddle a good long try, and my final verdict is 1) the stirrups are set too far back, putting you in an uncomfortable, off-balance seat. 2) it does not give any spine relief to the hrose, especially over the withers.  I cut a spine channel into mine.  3) it is overpriced. 

I did use English stirrups with English stirrup straps/webbers and found this much safer than the crummy ones the saddle came with. 

It really offers less security than a bareback pad because it puts you in an unnatural seat and you have false security with the stirrups; when things go haywire that saddle is not going to keep you on your horse.
  • I'm posting this mainly for others who may look for soft saddle revies based on the thread title, as Sweet725 has already made their purchase.

I have a cashel soft saddle, have ridden in it about 5 times.  I have found that where it is positioned makes a difference to how it feels when I ride (how balanced I feel).  I don't like where the stirrups are positioned, in my opinion a bit too forward and when I try to post my legs swing forward a bit.  When I rode later I had positioned the saddle more forward and did not have this problem.

But, I agree it with 3equines and it needs modifications.  A spine channel is good and also I will need to cut extra out around the withers so that I can put it farther forward on my horse which seems to help with balance.  There is a woman who redid the rigging on her soft saddle to make it more centered which I think is a good idea too.  I would like to do that as well but I have 2 kids and this seems OK.

But I do love to ride in it, very comfy and easy and fast to put on.  I do not trust the stirrups for mounting.  I have limited trust in them but my horse is very balanced and I have a decent enough seat that I do not depend on the stirrups so much when I ride.  For me, it is nice to be able to ride with one because of the spine in my horse's back which hurts without anything.  I like feeling the horse move under me.

Nelli
  • FYI for others, too - the Natural Ride bareback saddle is cheaper and safer than the Cashel saddle, it also offers good spine and wither clearance.  For more info see my thread.

On Both saddles:  because the stirrups are not attached to a tree from a point directly under the thigh of the rider, they will swing forward and backward easily when the rider puts weight in them or loses their balance.  Because of this, they can be less safe than riding bareback.  When using these kinds of saddles, you must focus on riding with your seat and your legs, using your knees and calves to maintain balance when going over steep ground or faster paces. 

That said, the Natural Balance saddle is safer because it will not roll if your weight gets thrown onto one side during a spook or misstep on the horse's behalf.

I wish there was a hybrid between the two: the sculpted foam seat of the Cashel with the vaulting-style saddle tree of the Natural Ride.

Peach packing kids around with the NR saddle - this is a GREAT tool for small kids!