Quick Post

Discussion: Mare or Gelding?

Discussion: Mare or Gelding?
  • Do you prefer riding a mare? Gelding? Other? What is your reasoning? The HORSE.community wants to know! 

• @Horse.com

Do you prefer riding a mare? Gelding? Other? What is your reasoning? The HORSE.community wants to know!

It really is "personal"

I have met insane mares, but I've also met insane geldings LOL... They're people/persons, too!! I own and love both mares and geldings, they're just like humans: They have their good days and bad days, They are individuals and some are stubborn, headstrong, moody, but still loveable and have HUGE hearts. Some give in easy on most days, but not ALL days. I could not make up my mind to decide on either of  them, just love the ones you own or who own you ;)

• The gender of the animal is not important. It's my connection with the individual horse, mule, whatever that makes the difference for me. Just like people, we either get along or we don't or it can be indifferent.

• @Roberta Pigg

The gender of the animal is not important. It's my connection with the individual horse, mule, whatever that makes the difference for me. Just like people, we either get along or we don't or it can be indifferent.

Good point! That is why we wanted you all to voice your opinions. There are many generalizations that are associated with a horse's temperament based on their gender. No too often do people speak to the point that every horse is different!

• Gelding all the way. :)

• I've had both. I generally seem to end up with geldings but just bought a mare so now I have both.

• I have 2 mare's and a gelding, and I have to say that I like most mares more than geldings, but I still like to have both.