Quick Post

Socks' first HDT

Socks' first HDT
  • Well, we're back from Clay Station happy and tired.  Socks was wonderful all weekend and strutted his stuff very successfully on Saturday.  Chance was rather worrisome at the beginning of the weekend (Friday morning).   He wouldn't eat any treats and was rather morose.  When we arrived at Clay Station (Wilton, Ca.) however, his demeanor did a complete turn-about!  He got out of the trailer, looked around, and whinnied very loud.  His ears, head, and tail were up and he was delighted to be back at the place!  LOL, poor fellow has had enough arena work to last him a lifetime!

Anyway, here's a few shots of the boys at work.  Most of the shots of Socks are on Saturday and most of those of Chance are on Sunday:

Poor Annie, I think she was pretty uncomfortable this past weekend.  She didn't want to get up this morning and stayed wrapped up in her blankie till after noon!

She was so funny!  Often when the carriages went by, Annie would be lying in the back of the open horse trailer watching them and would sing a woooo woooh, as they went by.  Don't know how to describe the sound,  kind of like a cross between a growl and a howl, but much more cheery and pleasant than either.  Anyway, everyone seemed to get a kick out of it.

Socks was wonderful all weekend and tried very hard to do everything I asked him.  We have some considerable problems with counter-bending in the corners during Dressage and listening.  All the same, we made it through without any serious gaffs and he behaved himself admirably.  In Cones, Socks saw them and one could almost hear him exclaim, "TOYS!  Oh boy, let's play with 'em!"  He kept trying to stamp, kick, or grab (in his teeth of course) the cones and was over-the-top enthusiastic about the whole thing.  Doing the Marathon on the same day as Cones and Dressage turned out to be a bit much for him.  Socks kind of petered out about half way through.  So, we did a lot of walking and let three competitors pass us.  We ended up nine minutes overtime at the end of it.  Not horrible, but the penalties were steep.  All the same, we didn't show up for a five-dollar-ribbon.  We were there for the experience and both of the horses did very well.

Chance gave us a bit of trouble, well quite a bit actually, about getting in the trailer.  I think he thought we were going into Palo Cedro for another round of arena work and if Chance never sees the inside of another arena it won't be long enough for him.  After making it crystal clear I wouldn't take any more of the pony games (yes, I had to be a bit rough with him), he harrumphed himself into the trailer.  Chance pouted the entire four-hour drive to Clay Station.  However, when he got out of the trailer and looked around, first his head came up, then his ears perked, then his tail came up and Chance looked like he was on Cloud Nine!  He bounced around on the end of the lead just brimming over with enthusiastic joy!  Chance LOVES Clay Station and the HDTs there.  Friday and Saturday Chance was Rocket-Pony and it was all Jmebear could do to hold him.  Sunday though he had calmed down enough to put in a decent Dressage test, cones, and (his favourite) an excellent Marathon.  We did about five minutes of walking with Chance during the end section of the Marathon as he needed a breather.  This did make us a trifle late coming in, but the penalties were negligible.  I got Socks out a bit later and then we headed home.  Arrived in Oak Run after Midnight, tired to be sure, but triumphant and delighted with a wonderful weekend!

• Nice pictures.  The horses look good.  The best part is everyone had a good time except maybe Annie.

Our tenant in the big house we are trying to sell came up and installed my new kitchen faucet thing.  He replaced a bunch of the plumbing under the sink and put in shut offs...Thank you, Rich.  The next time he comes, he is going to install my new cook top.  He won't let us pay him, he says he gets his rent so cheap that he feels he can do this for us.

Talked with my horse dealer about the app mare he has.  She must be registered breeding stock or however the app people do it because she doesn't look like an app.  She was a lesson horse and he said an old friend of his took her on a trail ride and said she was NOT a kid's horse even if they had taken lessons on her.  Sounds like she ring rides fine but has not had much experience in the real world.  She liked me, and she is tempting, but it would take work to make her a resale horse and I am horrible at selling horses.  Hubby says I am too honest.  Didn't know you could be too honest.

Three threads today. Hard to pick one.  I think I am going to donate my time to get mailers ready for the incumbents in our upcoming town election.  An outside faction has been disrupting town meetings and spreading stories.  It is time we got the truth out there.  Our current town board is operating our unzoned rural town IN THE BLACK.  We have adequate services and don't need people from the neighboring college town coming in and making us a suburb.  No surprise one of the hardest workers for their campaign is a real estate agent.  They want , they say, more services, more committees, and that means more money in my book .  They have spent (estimated) between five and ten thousand dollars on their campaign.  A lot of money to invest in something unless they will get a payback some way.  I just don't believe they have the best interests of the majority of the citizens at hear.

We are supposed to go down into the mid 20's tonight.  I brought a basket full of butternut squash in from the barn.  What wouldn't fit in the basket I covered with hay.

Life is good out here in central new york.  wish it was cheaper.

Enjoy the blessings our creator has given you all and have a wonderful week.
  • Our husky, Annie was a howler and loved to "talk" when we had company over or she was excited to have us home. She did the "Wooo Wooo!" thing too ':)' I was just telling someone today that I miss that now that she's gone.... Congratulations on the successful outing for Socks. He is one good-looking boy. I really like the picture where he is doing an extended trot ':)' Our Spirit pony isn't terribly thrilled about arenas either having been a lesson pony for a portion of his life but loves trail and fox-hunting ':)'
  • Congrats on a great day with the equines! Great pictures, Stude. Socks is gorgeous!
  • Great pictures!  Looks like it was fun.
  • Yeah Sam, it's almost too much fun to be legal! [';)'][':D']

A friend sent me a few new pictures of Socks at the HDT. 
    Just toodling around on Friday.

Dressage test on Saturday Morning.

Looking good after the 5k marathon.

The lady who took these pictures waxed poetic on the Recreational Driving List about Socks' potential and abilities.  He is a talented boy and I hope to be able to bring him up to his potential.  We shall see what happens this spring.

• Socks is sooooo beautiful!! Those knee high stockings emphasize his movement ':)' Someday.... when I have more time and if Cody is still with me, I'm going to do this!!
  • *LIKE*
  • Those knee high stockings emphasize his movement ':)' Someday.... when I have more time and if Cody is still with me, I'm going to do this!!
    hose knee high stockings emphasize his movement ':)' Someday.... when I have more time and if Cody is still with me, I'm going to do this!!