Quick Post

Autumn's Leg----Help?

Autumn's Leg----Help?
  • So- We went on a vacation to South Dakota for a week and came back to this:

Sorry it's kinda big...

We came to the conclusion that one of our mares ran her into the fence and she drove an electric fence insulator into her leg. Anyways, It's just a scab now and it's healing great but... She is a young filly who I wanted to compete with. I'm not sure how bad her scar will be but does anyone have any tips to minimize the chance of a big, ugly scar? 

• Personally, I would have your vet look at it. There may be something he/she can recommend. My understanding (though it may not be universal) is that scars do not count against you when showing as poor conformation or unsoundness will. I would want *my* vet to look at it to make sure everything that can be done to facilitate healing gets done.
  • I have had my vet look at it. He said its healing fantasticly. Scars only count in halter which is what I do... 
  • Hmm. Then things have changed, which is probable since I showed in halter 50 years ago. I had a nice colt that went through a fence at 3 months and had a scar on his upper front leg. Didn't matter unless they needed something to differentiate between two equally qualified horses. Just go with what your vet says to do. I wouldn't do this with the wound open as far as it is, but you might try Vitamin E oil when it gets to the almost healed stage. Again, ask your vet's input on that. You should be able to do that with just a phone call.
  • I love Vetrycin (or however it's spelled) for healing. It's like magic. Hope she heals fast and well.