Quick Post

Santa Ana River ride

Santa Ana River ride
  • Here are some pictures of our ride in the Santa Ana River in Norco, CA. This was before we hit the deep spots!! Watch out for those ducklings!          Kelly and Princeton taking a dip
  • Looks like so much fun! Love Kelly's smile. Princeton is adorable.
  • Wow Dana! You look great! That does look like fun. I always thought it would be cool to have a little retractable dog tether that would let you lower the dog so they could potty and then you can pull them back up. Like a repelling harness. [':)'] Kelly's a trouper to carry him. I guess he enjoyed himself? The little Prince? 

Did you say your friend's horse is a TWH? Lovely tail on that one!!  
  • Yes, Wesley is a TWH, failed show stallion who is very happy being a trail gelding ':)'
  • Have you ridden him? I love that gait!

I bought a "bag" that I thought I could use to take Carmy on trail rides. If it's laid flat it's rectangle and has a long zipper down the middle and a handle on each end. It can be folded in half and slung over one shoulder. But if you open it and put one arm through each handle it can ride on front of you with a small dog in it. Carmy never trusted it. She's not into being carried in purses. [&:]
  • Yes, the girls and I have ridden him and it is the weirdest thing when he starts gaiting and his head is bobbing and he is flying along ':)'
  • He "walks" so fast Cody has to do an extended trot or canter to keep up when he's going all out ':)'
  • I've ridden TWHs and Pasos. I much prefer the TWH. Do his ears flop? All the TWHs I've ridden flop their ears when in gait.
  • I'll have to check. I've only ridden him twice in an arena so next time we go out I'll look at his head! It's funny, the sound of his gaiting coming up behind us makes Cody think it's time to canter so he keeps anticipating cantering but he has to trot fast or canter to keep up!
  • Please tell your friend he's very pretty and I hope she feels better soon.
  • Ah hah!   Now I know what your problem was with the quick sand.  You should have taken the trail from the Power House and your crossing would have been on hardpacked sand.  If you entered via the road across from the cemetery, then just follow the path that goes along the subdivision down into the riverbottom.  I've driven the carriages down there any number of times.  Wonderful place to wander around in.  One really needs to keep away from the Jurupa (power line) crossing though.  It really is dangerous.
  • There's a nice parking area across from the cemetery and we rode down from there and went across at the powerlines..... that part was actually fine, shallow, hard packed but when we went south that was where we hit the deep spots. Not sure where the Powerhouse trail is, they don't really have signs other than warning you of ducks! Somewhere down there, a friend said there is a trail that goes for about 2 miles through the bamboo in a tunnel, sounds neat ':)' Used to ride down there as a kid and don't recall having any trouble except for my old Arab babysitter wanting to roll!