Quick Post

2013 Inbarn Schooling Show

2013 Inbarn Schooling Show
  • So today Cayden and I had our first show of the season. Well she was pretty good for my first five classes. We got 3rd in trot a pole hunter out of three. 1st in trot a pole pleasure out of three. 3rd in walk/trot hunter on the flat out of three or four. 3rd in walk/trot pleasure on the flat out of three or four. 2nd in the w/t/c EQ out of 4-5 people. Then came my three jumping classes. Our warm up was good, but then I got eliminated in all three of my jumping classes because my mare wasn't listening at all and was refusing jumps we had already jumped perfectly fine. We got fifth in our w/t/c pleasure on the flat out of five riders were Cayden was a speed demon and kept picking the wrong lead. ALSO! I sprained my right ankle AGAIN in my second jumping class, so I couldn't use my right ankle at all and now its like all swollen.:/ I'm hoping to do the show in June if I can raise enough money, and another in August. Hopefully they'll go better. When we came back I lunged her over some jumps and it took her awhile to stop refusing them. So like idk. She's defiantly not in season, her tack fits her fine and she had her teeth floated in December. Honestly, I really do want to sell her. NOT because of this show. I already made up my mind last month. One of my friend's got her horse last April who is still a bit green as well and is already showing 2'6. I just want a horse that I can improve and move up on. Not being held back. I told my mom I need to talk her and my dad about I want to do with Cayden. And to keep an open mind and really see were I'm coming from. So hopefully they'll understand.   ^I honestly don't know what we're doing? xD  ^^One of the flat classes, I think it was the first pleasure one, not sure.  ^^I thought this one was funny, so I decided to post it. Idk why I'm doing that.xD  Yes, I do realize my number is croaked.:P  ^^Waiting to hear our placings       Lmao nice Cayden >.>  Refusal.:/  Another refusal. I think this is were I sprained my ankle   The one decent jump we got, lol. Please ignore my EQ.:P
  • You look to be a teensy bit forward and not driving with your seat. Are you working with a trainer? What does your trainer say? You look so good on her and she's such a pretty girl! I'm so sorry it's not working out. I can't help thinking you guys (ladies) can get it together! 
  • I don't really work with a trainer because I board Cayden at a different barn for money reasons. We sometimes trailer for lessons. She told me to keep my hands quiet and let her go forward instead of busy hands. Which was a mistake cause that's exactly when she decided to refuse jumps. I could use my seat/legs to drive her forward since I sprained my ankle in the first jumping class, putting all the weight on my left one.
     I just want to improve to higher jumps that Cayden isn't really capable of doing. Like I'm sure she could with a way more experience rider who does jump higher jumps (like higher then 2'6) while the highest I've jumped is 2'6. Cayden isn't the most...honest jumper, which really doesn't help with my confidence level over jumps. I just kinda need like an experienced/seasoned/honest jumping horse. And taller, lol.xD 
  • Well, I'm not a jumper but...when I got my first horse I bit off more than I could chew, but because I was born with stubborn written across my forehead I wouldn't sell him and we ended up learning together, now we're a fantastic team, even though we don't compete but we could if we wanted too. 
    I think you look great and she is gorgeous 
    Good luck!
  • Better a horse who challenges you than the push-button slave.  In that manner you will grow and improve your skills.  Otherwise there would be no growth and little progress for you.  

As to the ankle, you aren't seated properly.  That is to say out of balance.  Till this issue is addressed keep the jumping to a minimum.  Go see the trainer and spend some time on balance (yours) and obedience (hers).  Caydan's issue might just be mixed messages from you.  Not being there, I wouldn't know.

Best of everything to you both.
  • studeclunker: You do make a good point. But, I just prefer a horse that I can has lots of experience with jumping/honest jumper given 1.my confidence issue over fences and 2.The highest I've jumped is 2'6, and I don't generally want to jump a horse that has never jumped higher then 2'6, and for me trying to jump it higher when I haven't even jumped that high. I only jump once a week and my trainer who I only see like once a month said to practice at home. I do agree with the balance issue, but I think that's just because I'm to tall for her. (I'm 5'7 and she's 15.1hh) Cause when I ride taller horses I don't have that problem so...
  • I love tall horses, too. Still, you do look good on her. I understand what you're saying, though. Would it be possible to let her go and do lessons more frequently? Maybe that's not the right trainer for you. Or maybe if you aren't paying board and could afford a second lesson you could try another trainer or possibly do some dressage. The reason I suggest dressage - and I know you are totally into jumping = the dressage angle is going to give you a whole new perspective on riding, some great skills that will serve you well in the show ring and it will build your confidence. Hey, it's a big part of 3 day eventing right?
  • Possibly. I mean, I'm sure if I sold her I could take more lessons defiantly. I used to take like riding lessons two-three times a week when I was little. They were cheaper though since it was more you of a fun ride thing really. I've been looking into leasing/half leasing since I can't really afford to buy the horse I want. I'm thinking of leasing this guy: He's broaded at my lesson barn and he's so sweet and easy to handle. As well as amazing in the show ring. I've always thought of doing dressage, but idk if I have the patience for it haha. But if I do end up half leasing this guy, I could do two riding lessons, one jumping and one dressage (if this horse does dressage) or just switch each week, one jumping lesson one week, and one dressage lesson the next. And that's very true, but I'm to scared to jump those cross country jumps lmao.xD