Quick Post

The neverending story....

The neverending story....
  •  MP enjoyed the water however his enjoyment was tempered by wariness.  He knew that the Humans spent time near to this small lake quite often.  Thus, he made very sure that there was no danger of their being seen, or worse, captured by the Humans.  When he was confident that there was nothing in the area to be concerned about, MP carefully lowered himself in the water and bathed thoroughly.  He moved down a little where the water wasn't quite so stirred up and had a good long drink.  Then he made sure Glimmer did the same.

After they had had their splash and drink MP pushed Glimmer on.  He wanted to avoid detection and be out of this valley as soon as possible.  They continued on trails that MP only barely remembered on that very painful journey with his Mother and the even more painful journey back to the plains alone.

When they came to the first highway, it was still night.  Thankfully, the beasts brightly shining eyes were nowhere to be seen.  So MP and Glimmer fearfully following dashed across the freeway as fast as they could.  The pavement was slippery and MP nearly fell after he crossed the meridian.  Still they made their way across safely.  Glimmer was nearly across the second strip of pavement when one of the very huge beasts roared out of the darkness.  She just made it to safety when it thundered past.  She stood shaking in the lee of a large pine that stood some distance from the highway for quite a few minutes before Glimmer was able to get over her fright.  MP stood close to her and gently stroked her neck and shoulders with his head and neck.  After a little while, they moved on.

When they reached the far side of the plain the trees were increasing in number.  As they started the climb into the mountains they became even more numerous.  The trail became increasingly steep and the horses found it difficult to travel faster than a jog-trot.  The flip-side was that there was plenty of grass here.  After another day of this, Glimmer finally asked MP when they would come to more water.  He looked back at her and gave an encouraging wicker, "It's only just a little way from here.  You'll soon be able to smell it."  He answered her and went on, "Just wait till you see it.  This is really something to see."

First though, they had to cross the second road that MP had warned her about.  It wasn't so large as the one they just crossed, however it was very well travelled.  As the sun had come up some time ago, the Humans were out and busily roaring along the road.  The horses stood for quite a while hiding in the brush and trees till the traffic cleared and dashed across this road too.  Then MP led Glimmer off to the West of the Human settlements ever higher into the mountains.

About an hour later Glimmer caught a faint smell of water.  There was a hint of something else in it too.  Not an unpleasant smell... just different.  As they went on, she recognized the smell as a herby sort of green-things smell.  She quickened her pace and noticed that MP looked back happily and also quickened his as well.  They rounded an outcropping of rock and there it was.

The stream came out of the mountains leaping and foaming down its steep way till it came to this location.  Then it gathered itself and leapt over the falls into a large, round pool.  The sides of this arroyo were steep and this was the end of it.  From here the stream wound it's way to the lower slopes and finally vanished in a grassy marsh.  In the meantime, the splashing, foaming water created a little garden where Glimmer just stood on the edge and gazed in amazement.

"This stream comes out of the lake you seek," MP told her, "it is difficult to pick up here as the path becomes very steep for a little while.  We have to get past this drop-off that the waterfall comes down.  Get a drink, and maybe a few mouthfuls and we'll move on."

The grass was wonderful and Glimmer was greedily ripping up mouthfuls like she'd never get enough.  Then she would step up to the pool and sip a bit of the ice-cold water.  Glimmer normally didn't like browsing unless she was really hungry; however the herby growth around her was tender and sweet.  She was thoroughly enjoying the banquet spread out before her.

"Why is the water so very cold," she asked MP?

"At the far side of the lake is ice.  It towers very high up and fills most of the valley.  Sometimes a large piece will break off and come crashing into the lake," he explained, "this is when the water becomes stirred."

"Ice, in Summer," Glimmer asked, confused?

"Yes, Ice in Summer," MP confirmed.  "However, it is no longer summer up here.  Haven't you noticed how cold it is at night?  We must push harder or we'll be caught in the snows."

Glimmer looked around at the wonderful banquet and the beautiful walls surround three sides of the pool.  The water dripped around the edges and the sides were covered with ferns, bracken and the herby plants.  Yet she could see that the ferns were already tipped with red, gold and brown. 

"I could stay here forever," Glimmer sighed.

"Yes, well we can't," MP remarked, "we have to get moving.  Are you ready?"

Glimmer sighed deeply and turned away from the Sylvan pool, "Yes, if we have to go, we'd better go now or I'll never want to."

MP led her around the other side of the pool after they crossed the foaming stream.  Glimmer neighed in shock when she entered the stream as it was frightfully cold.  The stream was not very wide, and yet she was shivering (though the day was quite warm) from the cold water when they got to the other side.  Then MP led her up a path that wound its secret way back and forth up the steep mountainside.  They followed the stream on a well-beaten path that sometimes had to divert away a bit as the stream's bed became too deep and sides too steep and rocky for them. 

The path was gruellingly steep and wound torturously up into the mountains.  Even though there was plenty of grass and the stream was never far away, the path began to take a toll on the both of them.  After the second day of struggling along, MP turned off it and led Glimmer to a deep alcove in the mountainside.  It had a sandy floor and much of the wall paintings that they had seen in the cave so many weary days ago.  This deep alcove was well protected from the weather and quite dry.  Leaves and pine needles had blown into the back of this shelter.  Glimmer gave them a cursory examination then lay down wearily in this soft, dry, slightly prickly bed.  She was asleep almost as soon as she was comfortably down.  MP laid in the opening of the alcove and watchfully rested as well.

After a full day of rest in this sheltered spot, the horses were ready to move on.  However, before they left, Glimmer was admiring the paintings on the walls.  MP walked up beside her and looked at them as well.

"They're beautiful, aren't they," he remarked.

"Yes," Glimmer agreed, "They remind me of the ones we saw before.  But this one shows the white horse with wings.  Look here, it shows the horse entering a lake and coming out in this drawing with wings."

"That's true," MP observed, " however, look here.  Doesn't it look like the horse is falling?  And what's wrong with the wings?  They don't look right."

"I don't understand it," she replied.  "It almost looks like a warning.  Like one can get their heart's desire and still come to ruin."

"Yeah, I suppose so..." MP replied dubiously.  "To be honest, I never much paid much attention to these drawings and paintings.  They never really interested me.  I mean... well, they never tell where to get water or grass... you know?"

"Yes, I suppose so," Glimmer reluctantly agreed.  "It's difficult to understand what Humans are trying to say.  This one definitely is trying to say something though..."

"Yeah, well, it's time we moved on," MP replied, a touch impatiently, "You'll notice there's a bite to the wind today and that usually precedes snow.  We need to go a ways before we get to the lake and I'm afraid we may not make it before it snows."

They returned to the path and followed it's sinuous windings up the mountain

• Glimmer and MP were exhausted from the steep path and found they were climbing more than walking.  The path seemed more like a series of steps rather than a path.  This was very wearying to the horses.  Glimmer was hoping for a place to rest and wondered how much longer she could go on like this.  MP almost seemed to be reading her thoughts when he turned around and reassured her, "It isn#%92t very far now.  See that cleft in the ridge a little way ahead.  We#%92ll make the lake just before nightfall."  Noticing how exhausted Glimmer looked, MP became concerned. 
    "We could rest and continue in the morning if you like," he suggested. 
    Glimmer looked up at the leaden sky and saw a few stray snowflakes drift down.
    "No, I think we should push on," she replied wearily, "I am very tired, but we need to keep moving."
    So, they struggled on the rest of that afternoon.  Finally, when the day#%92s light was waning, they reached the summit of the arroyo.  Glimmer was amazed to see that the valley ahead was not very broad, though the walls of the mountains that surrounded it were sheer for a great height.  There was a wide swath of sandy, grassy beach around the deep blue, almost black, lake though no stars were showing in it.  She and MP walked into this cathedral like space with its great, high, white wall at the far end.  They found a sheltered spot, though there wasn#%92t even a whisper of wind, and lay down to rest for the night.  Though it was early, the whole of the valley was cast into shadow.  The cloud cover didn#%92t help either.  At the elevation they were currently at, the billowing clouds covered the top of the valley like a lid.  Glimmer#%92s last thought as she drifted off to sleep was that she was looking forward to seeing this beautiful valley in sufficient light to properly appreciate it.
  •  
    On the break of the following morning, Glimmer was awakened by the twittering song of a Mountain Oriole, which was answered by a Meadow Lark.  That#%92s odd, thought Glimmer, I didn#%92t know that Larks lived this high up.  She opened her eyes to a valley covered in glistening silver.  The grass, rocks, sand, and earth all over the valley was covered by a crystalline coating of a heavy frost.  The area around where she and MP had been sleeping was devoid of this ethereal decoration, likely from their body heat.  The water was skinned with a tracery of the finest lacework.  The great bluish-white glacier at the far end of the valley was riven with numerous cracks and valleys.  The sun had not yet reached the chilly valley floor so only the top bit of the Glacier was glowing pinkly, glittering in the early morning light.  A deep boom rumbled across the valley.  The sound awoke MP with a start.
    “What was that?!” He demanded jumping to his feet, instantly alert and prepared for action.
    “I#%92m not sure,” replied Glimmer sleepily, “I think it came from the other side of the valley.”

At that moment, whilst they were watching, a deal of debris and snow sifted from the top of the glacier into the depths of its many crevices and deep, though narrow, valleys.  Suddenly the sound of a double boom rumbled across the valley again.

“Well, it seems you were lucky to arrive just in time,” observed MP wryly.
    “What do you mean?” Glimmer asked him in frank confusion.
    “Those loud booms you keep hearing are the ice breaking away from the main glacier,” MP told her.  “At least, that#%92s what was happening when I was here last.”

Glimmer climbed quickly to her feet.  She had been wondering how they were going to get anything to eat, what with the ice covering the grass the way it was.  This was driven from her head by the thought of her dearest wish coming true.  Without a thought for anything else, and not even noticing the dejected look on MP, Glimmer dashed to the edge of the lake.

“How long does it take for the water to work,” she asked MP in a high level of excitement.
    MP looked at her, tensed all over with anticipation, quivering with joy, Glimmering with the fire of the late morning sun (which had now finally reached the valley floor), and couldn#%92t help but love her.  She was literally glittering with the same beautiful fire that the sun imparted to the entire frost-gilded valley.  Unlike the valley though, Glimmer would keep that beautiful gilding.  So, it was with a heavy heart that MP watched her standing at the edge of the lake… the same lake that swallowed up his mother in her pain and grief.
    “The ice will break off the glacier and drop into the lake.  At that time you must move into the water quickly before it stops moving,“ he explained.  “My mother had to try three times as this water isn#%92t like other lakes.  The water seems reluctant to be disturbed and will stop moving very quickly.”
    At that moment, one of the narrow sections of ice between two particularly deep cracks shifted.  A great quantity of snow and debris slid down the face and into the water.  Glimmer noticed that there was very little disturbance of the water when this happened.
    “Is the water frozen,” she asked MP?
    “No,” MP answered her, “it isn#%92t frozen.  It#%92s as I told you; the water is reluctant to be disturbed.  I don#%92t understand it and can#%92t tell you why.”
    As he was speaking a loud cracking sound echoed across the valley.  Glimmer noticed that the sound always seemed to come after the fact.  It was like the item moving had forgotten to make any sound and then tardily added it in.  Whilst she was considering this, the section of Ice they had been watching shifted forward and started to topple slowly into the lake.  It was if something was slowing it down so that it majestically tipped into the lake.  A large wave was generated by the ice crashing into the lake and Glimmer prepared to launch herself into the water just as soon as the wave arrived.

Just at that moment that the wave would have arrived however, a large Angel appeared and beat the horses back from the lake with his lower set of wings.  Astounded and frightened the horses fled to the entrance of the valley.  There they turned around and looked back at the astonishing visage that was now calmly standing at the edge of the lake with both sets of his wings fully extended, though relaxed.
    “Come back, I won#%92t harm you Glimmer,” the Angel softly called her.
    Glimmer was thoroughly terrified of this creature that looked to be part dragonfly and part human and part… she wasn#%92t sure but it seemed as if the creature was part sunlight.  Certainly, the frost and cold had fled from in front of it and the valley was now bathed in a soft warmth.
    “Come back, Glimmer,” the Angel now commanded her, ”I was sent to speak with you!”

The authority his voice carried compelled both of the horses to very cautiously approach him.
  • Glimmer lowered her head and approached meekly, sensing the devine authority this celestial creature possessed.  Her legs were trembling so fiercely she feared she would collapse.  Her nerves jangled.  She realized how exhausted she really was and sank to her knees. 

"NO!" MP didn't trust this being and was afraid of the power it must have to cause Glimmer to fall to her knees.  He gathered his muscles to spring. The angel cast a warning eye towards MP which stopped him in his tracks.  In horror he found his feet rooted to the ground, as hard as he struggled.  What was worse, he too was trembling, embarrassing him to the core.  He was relieved Glimmer wasn't paying any attention.  His brow furrowed and he squinted towards the pretty mare.  What WAS she doing? he wondered. 

The angel had knelt beside Glimmer and placed his hand on her head.  He was talking softly to her in a language MP didn't understand.  But Glimmer nodded as the angel spoke and then rose to her feet. 

Suddenly the angel was gone and Glimmer got to her feet weakly.  She stretched, attempting to get the circulation going in her long limbs and padded softly back to MP.  With wide eyes, he took a step backwards as she walked straight up to him and placed her forhead against his. 

"I know what I have to do" Glimmer said.  MP tilted his face so he could see her (horse eyes being where they are).  He was speechless (for once) and allowed her time to continue.  "I have to go back to the humans."

MP gasped, his nostrils flaring wildly and the whites of his eyes showing.
  • Glimmer quietly moved away from MP and began walking.  She looked different somehow but MP couldn't quite put his finger... er... hoof on it.  There was a sort of glow about her.  MP swung his head around warily in search of the strange winged human but only found the still of the (where are they?) afternoon, wintery evergreens swaying to the breeze in a soothing way.  MP's eyes became sleepy and he yawned.  "Maybe just a quick nap..." he thought to himself.  He gave a snort and bobbed his head up in surprise to hear his own voice.  "Who am I talking to?"  But his head was already drooping and very quickly he fell into a slumber.

.....suddenly there was a glowing presence.  He felt warm air wash over him and he almost felt as if he were floating.  He heard an unusual voice, almost like music, yet he wasn't afraid.  It seemed to be the source of the warmth.  It said "Terra hun, do not be afraid to remain by the side of the one you know as Glimmer.  She has been chosen."

MP's eyes fluttered open.  Yawning and stretching he looked around for Glimmer and realized she was nowhere in sight.  All at once his memory flew through the events of the past.... how long had he been asleep?  He swung his head around even as he started off in the direction Glimmer had travelled.  The soft earth made it easy to track her, and he was a skilled herd leader.  He puffed out his chest, arched his neck and picked his feet up a little higher.  The worlds "Terra hun" kept coming back to him as if in a song.  He didn't understand them but he hummed along anyway.

• Meanwhile Glimmer was dead-set for the humans. She galloped with a new energy that she didn't have on her way to the lake with MP. There was a new purpose, something bigger she was apart of now. She didn't seem to be hungry now either, as if all mortal feelings had been pulled from her heart and she was now a wind-up-robot with one thought: get to the humans.
  • The problem with feelings is that they can often collide with that state of being we often call reality.  This Glimmer was about to find out as she carelessly carromed joyfully down the mountainside.

In the meantime MP came more thoughtfully behind her.  Carefully he picked his way down the path toward the sylvan glade at the bottom of the arroyo that housed the outlet stream of the lake.  Just as he left the lake valley MP looked back.  The valley looked the same; soft, short very green grass flowing up to the unaturally smooth lake, the sun glinting off the top of the Glacier, and the steep rocky walls of the alpine seque.  Had he actually seen trees in the valley or were they out of his imagination?  What about that voice?  MP  stood for a few minutes pondering what he had seen, experianced, and heard.  In the end it was just too much for him to understand.  Terra Hut?  He thought, What's with that?

MP turned and started down the Arroyo following Glimmer no more aware of the danger that stalked them than was Glimmer herself.

In the meantime, The Connors had long since climbed the Anasazi trail out of the verdant valley and crossed the Plano to the lake.  There were any number of campers and trailers set up, with the attendant scream and shriek of Motorcycles and ATVs.  Sage began to dance and jib as they got closer to the lake and even Jocelyn was nervous around the screaming, shrieking motors.

"Well if they came this way," remarked Evelyn ruefully, "any trace of them will be completely erased by all of this."

Jack looked around and couldn't help but feel slightly relieved.  Perhaps they could return home and give up this silly wild goose (or wild horse) chase.  How the devil they were going to get these horses to cooperate and follow them home was entirely beyond him.  He didn't know about the contents of his wife's saddlebags.

As they passed the lake and it's wildly chaotic surroundings, Evelyn noticed a depression in the grass under the shade of a gnarled old scrub Oak.  She dismounted, threw her reins to Jack and carefully examined the grass and surrounding area.

"Well, this was uncommonly fortunate," she remarked thoughtfully.  "Almost..."
    She broke off thoughtfully as Evelyn examined Glimmer and MP's erstwhile bed.  She took in where they had entered the sheltered spot and followed it back a little ways.  Just fifty feet from the tree she found manure from both horses, well scattered by the screaming, shrieking motors, and yet, not so much so that it wasn't impossible to identify it as what she was looking for.  Evelyn returned to the resting place and looked for it's exit towards the lake and she found where the horses had made a meal of some palatible grass that was still a bit green in the shade of the tree.  Then she followed the tracks toward the lake till they were obliterated by the vehicular tracks.  She turned back to the horses and Jack and returned to Sage.

"Well, they came this way and I think went to the lake.  Since it's the only water source for some distance, I would assume they spent a little time there," she explained to Jack.

"What's the matter," Jack asked her, " you sound like there's something wrong.  I mean, isn't this the obvious way the horses would go, to the water?"

"Well, yes... perhaps..." replied Evelyn thoughtfully, "Perhaps in days past it would have been.  Nowdays though the wild animals only approach this lake, especially this time of the year, when they're desparate."  She gestured around her, "Whitness the chaos and noise around you and the reactions of our own horses.  Ours are domesticated and used to the noise of motorized vehicles and they're on edge.  Wild animals won't have anything to do with this area and will skirt it for miles."

Evelyn mounted Sage and stood in her stirrups, removed her hat and used it to further shade her vision as she stared around the lake and it's surroundings.  She saw on the far side of the lake a Shepherd's wagon and two small draft horses.

"Let's go over there, Jack," Evelyn suggested.  "That Shepherd's wagon looks like it's been here a few days."

"Good gosh, Luv!" exclaimed Jack, " How the devil can you tell that?"

"They have a laundry line out and there's pins and no laundry on it," Evelyn pointed out, "Besides, the canvas roof of the Wagon looks dusty."

Jack muttered and chuckled in amusement to himself as they urged their horses into a gentle canter over to the wagon.

It was about a mile and a half to the Shepherd's wagon and the owner was sitting in a chair watching the Connor's approach.  He stood when sure they were heading over to his encampment and called out to his wife, "Mother, it looks like we're getting some visitors."

An old woman, still strong and erect, though withered by the sun like an old apple came around the far side of the wagon.  She had soap suds on her strong arms up to her rolled up sleeves as she had been washing clothes.  The woman shaded her sharp blue eyes against the relentless sun to squint at the visitors and a smile cracked her dried-apple face.

"It's the Connors, Poppa, "  she announced, "You know, the people from over the other side of the plains."

"What the tarnation are they doin' here?" the old man wondered.  However he was soon to get his answer as the Connors were now entering the campsite.

"Hello Jacob, Emma," Evelyn greeted them.

"Evelyn, what a pleasure," Jacob greeted her with a broad smile on his leathery old face.  "Jack, good to see you too!  I was just about to check if lunch was ready, would you two like to join us?"

Seeing the two happy, ancient faces looking up at them Jack and Evelyn could't resist and agreed.  It was kind of like coming across one's grandparents out on the prairie.

Whilst sitting across the table (which folded out from the side of the wagon), the Connors told the Yoders their reasons for wandering so far from home.  Jacob and Emma nodded quietly while listening intently.  When Evelyn told them about the resting area she had found on the other side of the lake, the Yoders gave each other a knowing look.

"Why are you so intent on catching up to these horses?" Jacob asked her, his face an unreadable mask.

"Well, the male, the stallion, needs some treatment," Evelyn explained, " I have tranks in my bags and you can see my rifle.  I'll simply trank him and give him the treatment he needs then let them go."

"...And the Mare?" Jacob asked her, an intent gleam in his eyes.

"Well, I suppose if I can get off a shot at her, I'll treat her as well," Evelyn replied, " however I haven't much hope of that."

The Yoders looked at each other for a moment and Jacob gave Emma a nod.

"The horses you are following," she ventured with a little smile, "Are they a dark-brown, kind of chocolate coloured Stallion and a glimmeringly white mare?"

"Yes, that's them," Jack confirmed eagerly, "When were they here?

"Two days ago I saw a mare and stallion like that pass carefully by here at dawn," Emma informed him, and unreadable expression on her face, "They passed to the west and north, Yonder," she gestured over her shoulder towards the distant mountains.  "The mare looked a bit the worse for the wear and was delighted with the lake."

Jacob chuckled, "Yeah, she played in the water with the delight of a little child," he revealed with an amused smile, " the stallion however, was much more wary.  You'll have a good bit of a challenge gettin' that one in your sights.  He's a cagey one.  You should'a seen how he held back the mare from the water till he thought it safe.  She was half crazy to get at the water and he wouldn't have nothin' to do with it till he was satisfied everthin' was clear."

"We must'a sat'n the weeds till our joints nearly seized up waitin', " added Emma with a chuckle, "He's a wary one, that stallion is.  If we hadn't been gath'rin herbs that morning in just that place up wind,  we would'a missed 'em."

"What could they be doing going this way this time of the year?" Evelyn asked the Yoders, "By the way, this stew is excellent."

"Thank you," replied Emma, then glanced at her husband, who nodded to her again.  "There is a legend in these parts of a lake, not too very far distant in the mountains that the horses might be making to."

"Lake?  Why up there? " asked Jack in confusion.

"The wishing lake?  But isn't that just a Native legend," asked Evelyn skeptically?  Jack shooting her a surprised look.

"Sometimes legends have a grain o' truth," the old woman replied a bit testily, "ignorin' folk wisdom 'cause it don't fit in with modern ideas aint always wise."  Emma smiled and winked,  "Specailly for an Arkie-ollie-gist."

"Point and gybe taken," Evelyn replied grinning, "So, where is this legendary lake?"

The old couple exchanged a look and broke out laughing gaily.  Jacob slapped the table in his amusement making the dishes dance and rattle. 

"Well, that's just it, ain't it?"  Emma replied laughing, "It's a legend, ain't it?  You'll have to ask them horses where it is!  I'll bet they ain't tell'in neither!"  

• MP followed Glimmer as fast as he dared, for the trail was just as threatening going back as it was getting to their destination, if not more so. It began to get increasingly colder, but he ambled on, determinded to catch her.
  • He was hungry...

Soooo...  very hungry.

The horse would be trouble to catch, but he thought he had enough strength to do so.  Just enough.  She would feed him for many-a day, that one.  The problem with this was the bigger one following her.  He would be trouble, the old cat just didn't think he could deal with both of them.

"must be careful... musn't let her smell or see me till I'm ready to panic her into that box canyon," the old cat murmured to himself.  "Gosh, she's just  pounding down the old trail without any caution at all!  Certainly not the same as when they came up."

MP stopped and sniffed the wind.  Was that just a touch of cougar he smelled?  It was so faint, he wasn't entirely sure.  Still, the scent galvanized him into action.  MP started careening down the hill with abandon. 

"I'm going to break a leg and then that old cat will get me instead," he chided himself and yet kept on his break-leg pace.

Glimmer began to slow down a bit realizing finally how foolish she had been rushing off without MP.  She stopped and looked around behind her, hearing something or other crashing down the ravine at a very dangerous pace.  Glimmer kind of chuckled to herself thinking that she must have given MP quite a turn to have him racing down the mountain at that pace.  Then she smelled it and her blood ran ice cold... Looking around in a panic, Glimmer could see an opening in the side of the ravine she hadn't seen coming up the mountain.

• MP started whinnying at the top of his voice, "RUN, RUN, DOWN, DOWN, NO SIDE WAYS, STRAIGHT DOWN THE WAY WE CAME!"  He repeated himself several times hoping Glimmer had heard it.  She wasn't far off as he could strongly smell her now.  MP wondered why he said that about side-ways as he wasn't aware of any off this trail.   He was in such a panic he didn't examine the comment further.

Glimmer could hear MP's panicked cries and looked again at the side-entrance from the canyon.  It would be so easy to dash in there and hide, still... MP had warned not to take any side ways...  She could tell the scent of the big cat was getting stronger.  There was definitely something coming down the side wall of the canyon, around the curve, just out of sight. 

Then MP came rushing around the tight curve of the narrow canyon practically climbing the sheer wall in his momentum.  "What are you standing there for?" He demanded breathlessly, "RUN I SAID, RUN!  Death is on my heels!"

Indecisive no longer, ignoring the side path, Glimmer dashed ahead of MP down the main trail sending a shower of rocks and pebbles ahead of her.

MP turned and faced his adversary.  The old cat now revealed himself warily.