Quick Post

What to do? Feel horrible......

What to do? Feel horrible......
  • Tonight, the two female pits, Pandora and Riley got through a hole in the back fence between the neighbor's and our properties (their dogs made the hole and we had fenced off about a 10 foot boundary between the back fence and our arena to keep their dogs out but the gate into there got left open somehow...) and killed one of their baby goats and really scared their daughter and a visiting girl...... Riley was covered in blood and it was a pretty graphic sight..... I apologized profusely and offered to recompensate him for the goat but he said it was OK, was really nice about it and wouldn't accept it....... I feel horrible and don't know what to do.  I'm worried that now that they've done it, they'll want to do it again more than ever and don't know how to keep them in if they really want to get out because we just have chainlink.  Up until now they haven't ever tried to get out.  I also worry because this time it was a goat but what if next time it was a foal..... they have chased our horses so I don't take them out to feed with me anymore.......  part of me wants to just turn them into the shelter because saving them isn't worth having something else awful happen and if it was a horse, I just don't know what I'd do..... We brought them home and shampooed all the blood off but I could hardly look at them and they know something is wrong....... I'm tempted to get him another really nice goat as if I show up with it, he can't really refuse it, right?  Not sure what to do with the dogs tomorrow except shut them in the garage while I'm at work......  Aaarrrghhhh, just trying to save these girls and now this happens.......

On a really good note, Moo and Tucker went to great new homes tonight :) 3 down, 4 to go, well 6 including the females.......
  • (((hugs)))  My heart goes out to you in this.  My son adopted a pit once and she was scarred like she had fought with something.  She was a super people dog, seemed to think she was a lap dog (too big)  , but she would go after anything that had four legs.   He brought her over one day when he was going to work on our fence.  He turned her loose.  She went after the horses.  By the time I got down to the pasture to see what was going on, I had a horse with a puncture wound to the stifle and he had a dog with a very sore face.  She had managed to bite the older horse but the 3 yr old nailed her a good one in the mouth.  She had a bloody, sore face, and our horse had a nasty hole in his stifle...which healed nicely, thank heavens for proud flesh powder.

Deciding what to do after this kind of an episode is difficult.  Liability could be a nightmare, just because of the breed.  I think all puppies like to chase things and have trouble knowing how far to go.  Many dogs feel the need to chase cats and some kill them. &nbsp';P'eople seem to be more upset if the dog is a pit.

Guess I am rambling on, just want you to know that you have some tough calls to make and we are all here for support.
  • Thanks Connie ':)'  Put out some desperate emails to some of the pit rescues I've had contact with.  They are really great dogs but not right for an area with so much livestock around them, I see.......

I think I'm going to start with some really beautiful bouquets for my neighbor's wife and girls,l along with cards apologizing.  I looked up what was available as far as goats and there isn't much out there.......

Those little kids were soooooo cute, jumping all over the place back there...... glad they only got one at least.........

We are definitely reinforcing the fencing along the sides with some corrugated roofing panels I have, too and will keep the girls out front where the neighbor's animals aren't visible but they go in the garage today until I can get the fence done.  So awful.... ':('
  • Dana, I'm so sorry. Hugs.... 
    I like the idea of bouquets.
  • That's awful, Dana.  I know you're such a great neighbor, too.  What do they do with the goats?  Some people raise them for meat.  In which case maybe a nice roast for the freezer...  or if they show the goats, maybe a basket of show goat supplies?  If they're just overrun with goats he may be thankful to have one less.  If they sell them, the price in a gift certificate? 
    The dogs?  Hard for me to want a dog like that. 
  • I know he milks some of them and either sells or gives away the others.  He had offered me one a while back but Skyler, my heeler acted like he wanted to eat it so I declined......

There were tons of goats for sale on Craigslist last night so I am going to call and see.

Having a hard time reconciling the sweet dogs I know with the ones I saw the other day........  May have a home for Riley.  Giving them through Sat. when there's a local dog walk I was taking them to and if they don't find home by then, it is off to the pound.....
  • I would love to have a neighbor like you!

What happened is truely tragic, but you have taken responsibility and it sounds like your neighbor appreciates it.  I think Hunterseat is right, they really might not want another goat!  I think a gift certificate to your local Tractor supply would be a great way to show that you care.

Hope you find good homes for those trouble makers.  It is hard to trust them around the horses after a stunt like that!
  • I agree about the gift certificate to your local farm store. 
    I'm not sure what my guys would do, both have pretty high prey drive. 
    As demonstrated when I unwilling went yard surfing after MR. Army Dillo.
  • I took flowers and a card over after work today, a bouquet for the wife and one for the daughter too and they were all so nice about it, offered me one of their chihuahuas!  They have tons of them......

I like the idea of a gift card to a local feedstore.  I don't know enough about goats to know if I was getting a good quality one or not......
  • when I unwilling went yard surfing after MR. Army Dillo.

[':D']  ROFLMBO! [':D']  um... I mean... poor you!!  [':o']

Chi's dana???  What?  For hors'douvres? 
  • I have wondered that same question, DH, with my heeler.  He acts absolutely rabid through the fence at those goats-their pen is right up against my back fence and the kid goats get out and run around and make all the dogs crazy.  Riley has been back there previously watching the goats but never tried to get through the fence, she just waited for their dogs to make the hole, I guess......

Got a gift card from our nice, local feed/tack store for them, will give it to them next time I see them out and about.

We have a chi and the girls play with him with such patience while he jumps on their heads and growls ferociously so they are great with other dogs.
  •   ROFLMBO!

[>:] Pilot thought it was funny too when he found me in the bushes.

Dana, I'm sorry for the situation. Rescue is hard enough without all the extra crapola.

Oddly Captain was afraid of his mini-me Hooch. 

• Dana, I think you have done all the right things to make amends to your neighbors.

Up here, the dogs would have been shot if they were caught trespassing.   Pits were bred for fighting, and no matter how nice they are, they will follow their instinct in the heat of a fight/chase.  I have heard some homeowner's insurance companies charge extra if you have a pit.  I would be inclined to find a new home for them rather than take a chance that they would do something like that again.  It is awful for another animal to be attacked, but what if it were a child? 

I know your heart is in the right place when it comes to the dogs.  I am glad that your neighbor is being nice about it. 
  • Gave my neighbor's daughter another card thanking them for being so nice about the whole thing along with a nice gift card to Kahoots.

Spent a good while out front letting Riley run around and get some exercise.  She is so cute to watch play.  She came to us so subdued and scrawny and now she's fattened up and so happy and puppy-ish.  Hope someone loves her tomorrow......  Pandora does not seem interested in getting out or even to remember what happened the other night.  I really don't know if she was involved as she just had a bit of blood on top of her head which she could have gotten even if she got near Riley.....  Hope someone loves her too.
  • The shelters up here will not re-home a dog that has killed anything. They euthanize it. I'm sure sorry for what happened and know you're trying to do the best thing for your neighbors and the dogs. Hope you find a good safe place for them.