Quick Post

Injury Concern..

Injury Concern..
  • So I have turned to my fellow equestrians because we all know that burning pain of having your foot stepped in by a 1200 pound animal.. It is also much easier to explain when you understand horse terms ^~^ So about 6-8 weeks ago, I was at a horse expo where I was preforming with my mom and my best friend. About to get on, I had to readjust the costumes *** collar which looped around the billets so I had to unbuckle the girth. As I was fixing it, my (QH) mare who is a very hot horse decided to tell me of her excitement by leaping to the side which resulted in her saddle flying off her back. With hardly any time to deal with it, I tied her back up and swung everything back on. I was stressed, out of time, and dealing with my mare who wouldn't calm down. That can only end badly. While retacking her, she jumped to the side again but this time it was towards me. Her front hoof landed on my right foot and golly did that hurt. A close family friend was helping me tack my horse(Page) up again since I was a bit in a time crunch. When Page landed on my foot, the family friend later told me that she thought it was broken for sure. I on the other hand, was irritated that Page stepped on my foot but I had no time to worry about it, I finished my rushed job of tacking up and was up on the saddle in no time. Because of the pain, a few tears did escape but hey, it wasn't something I could control when I was as frustrated as I was. The performance went well and following it I untracked, changed, and adventures around the equestrian center with friends and family. Before the performance, I had into my costume and stole a glance at my foot. At first, I tried wiping a dark mark off my foot but soon figured out that you can't wipe off a blood blister. To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed when I saw only a small circle blood blister! xD Throughout the day, I kept wondering why my foot was continuing to hurt so bad but me being me, I kept going on my jolly way. Who sits down at a horse event??;) Finally returning home that evening, I took off my shoes and socks to reveal a bruised and slightly swollen foot. I showed it to my mom and she was afraid it was broken but I kept wiggling my toes to assure it it wasn't. The blood blister was from a bursted vein and my foot was flooded with all different colors. I never went to the doctors because I could walk on it and I didn't want to waste the money. I was unable to wear shoes except for 1 lovely pair of sandals for a while, but I am able to go running now with very little pain. I continued to ride and everything, I was just a bit careful where I stepped. Today, the bruising is only hardly there, just a spot that's a bit darker than the rest of my foot and the bursted vein still holds it's design. It doesn't hurt nearly as bad to touch but some shoes still hurt and my foot aches every now and then. Curling my toes in causes the portion of my foot to hurt and I am just a bit concerned to the damage my horse hoof could have caused. She was wearing shoes and I had paddock (synthetic) boots on. I really would prefer to not use money for my foot if it's unnecessary, so I have turned to you guys! Should I just give it more time? Is there serious damage that could have taken place? I would appreciate any advice or thoughts, thank you!
  • Sure would have made sense to go to a doctor! Still might. What is it? FIVE pounds to break a bone in your foot? Injuries can cause arthritis to set in but it seems early for that, maybe? So why not go to a a doctor again? I missed that part.

• BTDT!  GO TO THE DOCTOR!  Sometimes we have to spend the money on ourselves in order to prevent problems later.  I was thrown by a horse almost forty years ago.  Had I gone to a doctor, or more precisely a Chiropractor, back then, I wouldn't be suffering the pain I am experiencing today.  Go to the doctor.

Would you hesitate to call the Vet. if your horse was injured?

Horse people... HONESTLY!

• My daughter's gelding spooked and stomped on my foot once.  Totally peeled all the skin off my toe and broke it, through my boots!  Go to the Dr.  Better to get it healed correctly.