Quick Post

The Sun and Global Cooling

The Sun and Global Cooling
  •   Could reduced sunspots be tied to temperatures on Earth?
    That's what has astrophysicists and meteorologists wondering as the sun enters a prolonged "quiet period," a deviation from the usual 11-year sunspot cycle in which the dark blobs on our star's surface ebb and flow, reports National Geographic News.
    And there may be a link to global warming — or, in this case, cooling. Current theories link an earlier solar quiet time to the "Little Ice Age," a cold snap that lasted from about 1300 to 1800 in Europe and North America.
    During such "solar minimums," as they're called, the sun dims a bit, magnetic activity is reduced and solar storms are fewer. No one knows how long each will last until it's over.
    The Maunder Minimum, a period of extremely low sunspot activity from about 1645 to 1715, coincided with the coldest part of the Little Ice Age, when Dutch canals regularly froze during the winter.
    This past January, the Dutch canals again froze, for the first time in 16 years.
  • Second thanks for this but I honestly don't know what to make of it.  Does global warming counteract?  What is the net affect to us?  In your opinion?
  • Personally I think the earth has cycles it goes through.   The global warming
    extremists are blowing the human causes way out of proportion.  The main
    reason I think they are trying to decrease global warming is to try and stall the
    next planetary cooling period.   As the glaciers in Greenland , Europe, and northern
    Canada melt,  the cold water enters the Altantic ocean,  this is pushing the Gulf
    Stream which is warm water that flows up along the eastern seaboard and crosses
    south of Greenland and then back down the English and European coasts.
    This will cause the temperatures in these places to decline  which will increase
    the snow fall and lessen the melting in the spring and summer time thus the glaceries
    will rebuild and move south once again.  (like in the era known as the Little Ice Age).

This pattern of warming and cooling has been proven by scientists who study and
    do core samples of the ice sheets and geologists

like the article said,  we just finished a period of very active sun spot activity which
    meant the sun was hotter than it is going to be in this period of decreased sun
    spot activity. (it will cool off during this period of inactivity).   also the solar winds
    are not going to be as intense,  therefore the Northern Lights will not be as bright
    or as varied as they have been.

Also back in the early 60's the U.S. and Russia signed a treaty not to influence
    each others weather .   I do believe we (governments) can and do to some
    extent are able to vary the weather patterns. 

In Alaska the Air Force has a large communication base,  They use High Amplified
    Radio Pulses.  (H.A.R.P.)  after they first started this communication system  They
    found that it punched holes in the stratosphere.   The holes would close up after
    they finished transmitting , but they found out the more  they used the system
    the longer it took for the holes in the stratosphere to close back up.

• Interesting information.  I do agree - the earth is full of cycles. 

I'm more worried about what the pollutants do to us & other animals (cancer, mutations, etc) more than the overall impact on the weather.