Quick Post

Hello from Alabama

Hello from Alabama
  • Hi! I was looking at bits on horse.com... looking for a Kimberwick for my three year old gelding... and ran across the forum by accident... thus, I joined. I'm on two or three other forums (actually, many, many more than that... I just don't post on or visit most other forums I'm on besides a few)... but since I love chatting with other horselovers... well, you get my point. anyway, I'm nineteen and own two purebred, bay Tennessee Walkers... though neither of them gait... which, I don't mind. My family also owns a few horses, and we're 'boarding' (for lack of better word) some of my cousins horses for them until they find a more permanent place for them.

Well, let's get on with the horsey introductions. As you can tell, I love writing... I love telling the 'forum family' about our horses and stuff.

So, my two horses. Both of my horse are grade Tennessee Walkers, though both of them are purebred. My mare can't be registered due to her sire and dam being registered in different associations, though they were both Walkers, and since she's not registered, my gelding couldn't be registered (my mare is my geldings mother). They can't be registered in any breed registries, but they could be registered in the ATHA, IGHA, or PWHA... but I'm not too concerned with papers. My mares name is Gypsie. She's bay (or course), and is roughly 15 years old and 15.1 hands. My geldings name is Dakota, bay (duh), and is exactly 3 and a half year old and has finally reached 15.2 hands. As you can tell, I'm partial to bay horses. In fact, the one color I really don't like much is chestnut. My mare is a great trail horse and loves the trails. She's good for kids most of the time and can be a pretty big challenge for older riders, depending on if she likes the rider or not. Right now, though, she's on an extended break until she can recover from her injuries... we took a fall last Friday and she got hurt pretty badly. My gelding, on the other hand, is an excellent horse. I started training him last year as a two year old and he's taken to a saddle and rider really well. He's really solid under saddle and enjoys going. I'm thinking about training him to barrel race so my cousin can play around in the local rodeos.

Dakota

Gypsie

Then we have my oldest uncles horse... Buttercup is the oldest horse in our pasture and is the herd leader (with my mare as the 'second'). She's 23 years old and is 15.1 hands, but looks bigger because she's bulkier. She's a Racking Horse and is a great kids horse except for the fact that she's herd-sour/bound and will buck and crowhop every now and then (a habit from her younger years). She's just a trail horse... She's not registered.

Buttercup

Next is my oldest cousins mare. Patch is a Racking Horse, though she's not registered either. She's about 9 years old and stands at 15.1 hands too. She's a really timid and flighty mare and she's been abused in the past by some people where my cousin boarded her at a few years ago. Patch... well, to be honest, I don't really like her. She's too timid for me, as I'm... well, not aggressive, but I'm not really quiet and I tend to get annoyed with her easily due to her nature. Patch is an ok mare, I guess... she seems to have times where she just freaks for no reason and she's scared of the saddle and hates to be caught. Though, once she's caught, saddled, and calmed down, she's great for my cousins kids to ride around on. She was given to my cousin as a foal because she was shot in the leg with a shotgun and her breeders didn#%92t think she#%92d live. Where she was shot, there#%92s barely a scar and it healed really well, save for her gaits are slightly jolted... but it doesn#%92t bother her at all.

Patch

Now we have another cousins horse... Nugget. Nugget is only 2 years and about four months old. She's had two rides put on her, but since she was broke to gear and trained to pull things last year, she's doing really well. I don't agree with her being broke to pull things as a yearling, and nor do I agree with riding her right now considering she's a very fine-boned filly and is only 14 hands even... but since she's not mine, I can't do anything. At nay rate, at least she's doing well... and I suppose it's pretty good that, since she's being ridden, it's a twelve year old girl who weight barely a hundred pounds riding her. Personally, I don't like Nugget. She's a pest and I hate her 'has to have all the attention' attitude. She's a pretty nice little filly though... I'd say she came out well considering she was an accidental foal and her mother was a complete idiot and a dangerous horse to be around. Note that Nugget is a Quarterhorse/x/Rackinghorse... therefore, she's not registered either.

Nugget

And, at last... the final horses. These two horses belong to my first cousins. They're both pure Mustangs. Megan belongs to my thirteen year old cousin. Diablo belongs to my fourteen year old cousin. Megan is only about 14.3 hands tall and about... I think I was told that she was about 11 years old. She hates to be caught and if you're going to catch her, you better be ready to wast a whole day trying to get near her... but once she's caught, she's the best kids horse ever... Diablo is old and thin. We're trying to get weight put back on him... but it's not working very well. We don't really think he'll live through this winter. He's 35 years old and is about 14.2 hands tall. He's a really sweet old man, though...

Diablo

Megan

So, that's them. We also own two donkeys, a bunch of cows, three dogs, a cat, two birds, seven ducks, ten chickens, three guinnea-fowl... and probably some more that I've forgotten.

Oh, and in the pictures... the little blonde girl is my 10 year old cousin Autumn. The baby is Autumn#%92s little 3 year old sister, Lexi. The darker, brown haired girl in the white t-shirt is Autumn#%92s big sister, 12 year old Whitney (she#%92s also the one who is training Nugget). I#%92m the one with the black hair and glasses. Also, most of these pictures are at least a few months old. I don#%92t have any good, recent pictures. The pictures of my cousins riding Dakota and Buttercup bareback are the most recent, taken a few days ago. Since I couldn#%92t figure out the picture gallery on here, I uploaded my pics to photobucket. Hope you guys don#%92t mind! I love taking and posting pictures.

Oh, just one more pic... I snapped this photo the other day and thought it was so cute!

Dakota and Buttercup

Now, that#%92s it. I#%92m off to explore the forum!
  • Welcome to the forum.  Some great topics already started or jump right in and post a new one.  Lots of colors on your farm!
  • Thanks! I've already looked aroind, but I haven't posted/replied to anything yet...