Quick Post

hello from Illinois =)

hello from Illinois =)

• Hey everyone!

I'm Lissa.. I'm 23 (almost 24) years old..  I live in east central Illinois.. and now onto the important part.. about the ponies =)

Skeeter.. 12 year old grade flea-bitten grey appy mare.. She's my first horse and even though an injury has caused her to be unsound for riding, she has a forever home.  She's had 3 babies and was a horrible mother (she pawned them off on her sister except when it came time to eat LOL that was the ONLY time she wanted anything to do with them).

Hopper.. Skeeter's full sister.. 13 year old grey few spot leopard appy mare.. Originally we bought Skeeter & brought her home just so Skeeter would have company.. a couple months later, my dad bought her.  She was my barrel and pole horse until a stifle injury ended her career and left her unsound for riding most of the time.

Reana.. 2 year old mini donkey jennet.. my pet project that I got last year for my birthday.. this summer I will be starting her in harness (ground driving only)

Remy.. yearling mini/pony mule jennet.. was supposed to eventually be the 2nd half of my team but I've realized that she's going to be more pony sized than mini (too tall for a pair)

Nameless (the new addition.. she's only been here a day).. 3 year old 54" QP x BS Paint.. I said no more young'ns but after she was pointed out to me on CL, I went to look at her and couldn't leave her in the situation she's in.  Supposed to be broke to ride, only saw her ridden bareback for a couple minutes due to the icy ground.  So far seems to be a nice lil mare, hoping for a few more inches of growth.. easy to catch.. and will be trying her out one day this week and seeing how well she rides

Sooooo that's my crew.. looking forward to being active and making some new friends  =)

• HI!  (again!  gotta find my first hello!)
    LOVE flea bit horses!  Need pics! 
    (later chicky.  I'm at work.  shhhhh....)
  • Welcome, Lissa!  Yes, we always enjoy pictures.  Sounds like you have enough critters to keep you busy.  I fully understand finding one on CL and bringing it home.  I did that last year.  (Hunter, that is the chestnut and white pinto)  I didn't keep her, but got her into condition and found her a home.

Once again, Welcome,  feel free to join in any chats.  Some days we are chatty and some days pretty quiet.  But we all care about each other.
  • Welcome!!  Can't wait to see your herd ':)'
  • [quote=hunterseat]

HI!  (again!  gotta find my first hello!)
    LOVE flea bit horses!  Need pics! 
    (later chicky.  I'm at work.  shhhhh....)

I was sleepy last night.. I know how horsey forums work.. threads about horses are pointless without pics ':D'

[quote=Connie]

Welcome, Lissa!  Yes, we always enjoy pictures.  Sounds like you have enough critters to keep you busy.  I fully understand finding one on CL and bringing it home.  I did that last year.  (Hunter, that is the chestnut and white pinto)  I didn't keep her, but got her into condition and found her a home.

Once again, Welcome,  feel free to join in any chats.  Some days we are chatty and some days pretty quiet.  But we all care about each other.

this is my 2nd CL "rescue" - the first was a true rescue who was posted free the day before the auction (an auction where they are known slaughter buyers).. I went and picked him up, ended up finding out he used to belong to a girl I rode with and he's an AWESOME barrel horse.. he was about 20 by now and even though I knew I couldn't keep him, I did find him his forever home teaching a young girl how to ride and building her confidence (after a previous bad purchase, it left them a bit hesitant to buy again but did after I told them to try him and if they didn't like him, I'd come get him and refund their money.. but they were already sold after the girl kicked him harder than necessary and he just froze and stood there as all of us adults were going "Noooooo!" and preparing for the worst LOL).  They keep in touch and they know if they ever want to get rid of him, I will take him back.. he's had a hard life and I want to make sure he doesn't have to go through that again.

With my filly I found it amusing at the lack of basic horse knowledge the people had.. including the breeder, who I asked if she neck-reined, snapped that she was too young (maybe I'm the only crazy one who starts teaching my young'ns that after they master the concept of direct reining? I don't expect a 2 or 3 year old to be perfect at it but generally within a few months they are well started and get it most of the time).. I could not leave her there, so while she was shorter than I expected, other than that she seems to be a nice horse who just needs a bit more training (I plan to ride her this weekend and see how she does)

[quote=danastark]

Welcome!!  Can't wait to see your herd ':)'

*slips off to go get pics of everyone* LOL

• Reana

Remy - "Hold still mommy! Your shoes are the bestest pillows!"

Nameless... I need to decide something soon.. poor girl.. I keep wanting to call her Jessie for some reason.. maybe it's meant to be? LOL

Skeeter

Hopper

• Great pictures.  Just love the little one with the dorsal stripe.  Everyone looks well fed and content.  Thank you for sharing with us.
  • [quote=Connie]

Great pictures.  Just love the little one with the dorsal stripe.  Everyone looks well fed and content.  Thank you for sharing with us.

thanks =) I'm waiting for her to lose the baby furry this summer to hopefully figure out what color she actually is.. so far the best guess is dunalino

nobody misses their meals here!

the lil sorrel ate that whole feeder full her first night here (they hadn't fed her in over 12 hrs before I picked her up.. one flake of hay in the trailer kept her content for the ride home) and now she's gotten her belly full and eats a couple flakes morning/noon/night