Quick Post

My First Post

My First Post
  • Just wanted to introduce myself to all you horse lovers.  I am Mitzi Silano from Fellsmere, FL  I have 6 horses, four dogs, two cats, a red-footed tortoise and a turtle.  Oh!! And a really fat Black Angus cow named Rosie.  We kind of feed and care for whatever shows up at my house. People as well.....kids keep coming back home.  I am interested in seeing how others do things and what is going on in the world of animal husbandry.  I am originally from Millcreek, Oklahoma......one stop light and one paved road.  Kind of like where I live now!  I love Florida and Fellsmere especially.  Fellsmere started as an agricultural community and still is pretty much that.  We have lots of orange groves and watermelon crops here.  We are not far from Vero Beach and Sebastian.  I can get to the ocean in 20 minutes yet do not have to deal with traffic or big city life.  Paradise!!  Found my dream home after 40 years of trying.  We have ten acres and would love to have a whole lot more....oh well, certainly grateful for what I do have.  Hope to get to know all of you.

Mitzi  Silano
  • Hi Mitzi!  You certainly have a zoo.  As I'm reading I'm thinking "okay, she's got me on horses, I've got her on dogs and cats, she's got me on the exotics" and I don't think I can claim my neighbor's little bull calf....  [':)']
    I don't know if you've been lurking at all but we all seem to pick up the strays.  There's a lady who checks in from time to time named HGPaints.  She has trail pigs.  She's in Florida.  I hope she sees you are here.

BUT I have 3 former harness racers (awesome horses) and an appy filly (3yrs) from CO.  6 dogs (strays and rescues) 4 cats (strays and rescues).  And a wayward son....

It's really great to meet you! 
  • Nice to meet you as well Hunterseat.  I hope the lady from Florida with the "trail pigs" checks in.  I don't know what a trail pig is unless she is adopting little wild ones.  We have a lot of feral hogs where I live and they are doing a number on the environment......Cute little devils though.

How did you acquire the harness racers?  Probably the same way I got my thoroughbred.......retired from the track and too nice a horse to let her go to some questionable life.  Do you ride them?  Did you have to re-train them in any way?  Are they still competitive?  I ride Emma but she does have some issues.  She shies from normal everyday stuff......I have to remember that she has spent her life in a stall and doesn't recognize mud holes, flying cranes, jumping frogs or killer goats!  Yes we have killer goats on my road......at least Emma thinks they are dangerous.....she sees them and stamps her feet and snorts and wiggles her ears.......prima donna this girl is!  When I learn how to download photos, I will post her picture.  She is beautiful!
  • I adopted mine from American Standardbred Adoption Program in Wisconsin.  I got 2 for riding and one for pasture ornament.  One of my riding ones, Bullwinkle, had been used as hunter/jumper/dressage previously and never really made it on the track.  He has since gone blind but is coping with his filly for companion.  My other one, Zagnut has become a great trail horse.  He was ridden before but  his previous adopter, 14yr old, was afraid of him.  Once I got him I could see why she would be.  But he loves the trails and we've bonded really well, especially once I got the trailer to take him places.
    Master Miles was 12 on his last start and they destroyed his legs.  He made over $700K for them.  He's a hero in my book.  He nearly climbed a tree the first time a gnat flew up  his nose.  He's really a big chicken but leads the herd.  Well, now he only had Zag to lead because they both try to kill Bully. [':(']

• Welcome!!  I, too have a menagerie!  3 horses, a fat, spotted pony, 4 dogs (2 rescues), 2 cats, lots of fish, a hamster, 3 leopard geckos.  My horse, Cody is a PMU rescue.

Glad you are happy with your new place ':)'  Look forward to hearing from you.  Join us in our General Chat every day!