Quick Post

Another Newbie

Another Newbie
  • Hi all. New to the forum and hope to be an active member. My horse is a grade mare, appaloosa mix. She's white with little red dots all over her.  Hence the name freckles.  I've only had her about a month but I love being back into horses after a long long time away.  Regret waiting so long to get back into the horse world. My daughter and I both bought a horse and now my grandkids have decided they want in on the fun so we're looking for another. I'll post pics later when I figure everything out.
  • Welcome!  My girls and I ride and my mom did too, wonderful thing to pass through the generations ':)'  We also have a grade appy pony, leopard spot with black and brown spots all over named Spirit, a paint gelding named Tahoe and a draft cross gelding named Cody.

Join us in our morning thread in the General Chat section!
  • C'mon back here!  This is no way for a new active member to be!  ONE POST! 

Sounds like a family passion.  That's wonderful!  What part of the country is yours? [':)']
  • Family passion, yup that's a good description. My daughter has a beautiful tri-color paint gelding. Gotta find something for the kids that's kid broke. My mare is a bit barn sour and the kids don't have the experience to make her do what they want and not what she wants. She's really quick when she wants to be and will spin around and head back to the barn if you aren't paying attention.  But she's learning that I'm boss, not her. The only other problem I have with her is keeping her still while mounting. She backs away from me.  I'm thinking of trying a cotton lead rope around her backside so she thinks there's something behind her. Think it will work?

Oh, and we're in Alabama, just west of Birmingham. Beautiful country for riding.
  • Ooooh!  A flea-bit?  Not an appy?  VERY nice! 

I'm in Marshall Co Mississippi actually, just work in Memphis.  You can't be but SO far from me.... 

My method for keeping them still is just backing them up and starting over so many times they fall asleep.  [':D']
  • Actually I think you're right, flea-bit. Now she's lost all that shaggy winter hair they're even smaller dots. She's a great mare, once you get on her and away from the barn. [':D'] I've moved her to another pasture away from the barn so maybe that will work itself out. Still gotta work on that standing still thing though.

I'll have to look at a map to see where you are in MS. Can't be too far.

You've got a beautiful  appy in your pic there!
  • I have a coworker who commutes from Eudora every day to the Memphis airport.  YIKES!  My house is about a third of that trip and I'm nearly 30 miles.  So I'm about 60 miles from the MS/AL line on 72.