Quick Post

New to Horses, New to Forum

New to Horses, New to Forum
  • Hi everyone,

My journey to horses started a few years ago.  The year I turned 40, my friend and I went to a Dude Ranch vacation in Montana.  Everyday consisted of breakfast at the lodge, riding through beautiful scenery, picnic lunch, dinner at the lodge.  It was the absolute best vacation!  Granted it really wasn't riding, it was just sitting on a mellow horse.  The next year was another Dude ranch vacation in Colorado that had 3 levels of adventure to choose from: only walking, to short gallops, to full on haul butt.  I did some of the short gallops, had zero form or balance and ended up with several inches of bruising across my butt.  :-)  The next year we went to Utah for camping and horseback riding.  Did some lopeing, again no skill or form, I don't know how I didn't fall off!  :-)

This past year I thought I would take a few horseback riding lessons, so we signed up for a 5 lesson package.  My friend and I have had so much fun, that we haven't stopped taking lessons since April 09.  We now volunteer at the ranch all day on Saturdays and some on Sundays.  Its funny doing chores at the ranch is fun (emptying trash, cleaning stalls and water toughs ect...), but house chores are just that, a chore.  We've both fallen for a draft/paint mix named Mystery (a PMU rescue).  We've even started leasing her with the possibility to buy later in the year.

So far my favorite part of horse.com are the training video segments.

MMottster
  • Welcome to the forum!  Gorgeous horse!  My house is a disaster area too, but I sure do love to clean the barn...funny how that works isn't it? 
    My name is Jess, I just bought my first horse this past June and I haven't regretted it.  I have a coming 3 Fjord gelding named Reidar.  He's just finished up 45 days with the trainer and as soon as the weather warms up a bit he'll be coming home.
  • Hi,

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you've done the right thing, truly learning how to take care of horses and such before diving in ':)'  I had horses all my life (lucky kid!) but had to sell my horse while having kids.  Got back into it again at 40 ':)'

I also have a PMU draft cross who might be a relative of yours.  His sire is a black/white paint/perch.
  • That looks like Texas or nearbouts!  Where are ya?  LOOOVE the horse!  Sounds like you've got the disease now! There's no turning back! [':D']
    (3 rescued Standardbreds and a rescued Ap filly)
  • We are in West Covina, CA, about 20miles East of Los Angeles.

Yay, we have the bug alright.  When we first met our riding instructor he asked us if we ever planned to own a horse.  We said no, we figured we'd just hang out with all the rescues and boarders.  He chuckled and said, just wait, one will get you. ':-)'
  • OH!  Then you know right where Dana's stomping grounds are!  I used to live at Lake Elsinore!  Had boy #1 at March AFB!  Anyway, I'm in the MidSouth now.  But I think it's cool you and Dana are neighbors!  NEIGHHHHHH-bors....  [':D']  always wanted to do that.

I think I forgot to say WELCOME!!
  • I've ridden all my life and I can't say enough good things about dude ranches and establishments that rent out horses (with a hand along, of course). When I was young, I had ridden from babyhood, but could only ride regularly in the summers, my mom used to take me every weekend for a half hour ride at a place near our home that was a tourist attractions. They had a stable of trail horses and dune buggy rides! I always rode the same horse, because it was the off season it was always just me and the trail boss (I guess that's what he'd be called). We did this for several years until I got my own horse. I rode during the summers at my cousin's house, where I rode every day all summer long, and went to shows and parades.

There's a dude ranch about 2 miles from my house...less than that from where I keep my horses. I'm SOOOOO tempted to go there for a long weekend with the kids this summer. What a great way to have someone knowledgeable show me the land and give me suggestions on where I can ride my horses, as I don't know this country (for riding) well.

So congratulations to the OP and riding is riding, it doesn't matter how you start or where. I taught my kids to ride by having them cool down my Walker in a small paddock after I'd ridden her. And they learned pretty well, on a horse that wasn't even a kids horse. They all learned. She became more intuitive and gentle, and they learned to handle a big, fiery horse (who was tired when they got on, never fear).
  • Hunter~~you are hilarious!!

Welcome MM. I'm in Southern Colorado and have 2 horses. Sorrel Quarter Horse and a Palomino I bought a year ago tax day! I started out a bit like you, taking riding lessons and volunteering at the same place. I was smitten and very fortunate when I got my first horse, he's a good one. Owned him for 6 1/2 years now. Like everyone else here, I'd rather clean the barn then my house!