Quick Post

Fancy Sunday

Fancy Sunday
  • After observing Fancy the last few days we decided she can go for a short little ride today. We will avoid rocky areas. 

Moved the remaining square bales from the hay building to the barn. Always keep a stash in an empty stall so if the weather is nasty we don't have to go in the rain/cold to get more. Now we can get our annual new stash of square bales.

Completely redid an outdoor GFI outlet. Need this for the winter. Heater in water trough, heat lamp at the well and fence. We switch from solar fence charger to electric in the winter since Apache learned that when it is in the 20s the solar charger gets weak and he pushes thru the fence. 

• Smart horse

• Hay moving day here also.

It was finally dry enough yesterday to get the bobcat out.

The round pen got leveled and is useable for riding again. Actually at 95 feet it is probably considered an arena?

I don't like keeping a horse in there but it seems the safest place for Tonto when he is not turned out.

We need to haul the bobcat to DaneHaven and get some rounds moved here now that we have a nice hay shed.

With all the rain I have had to get cubes of squares since we weren't able to haul rounds.

I hate spending extra for squares when I have a barn full of rounds.

Although like Face I always keep a stash of squares in a covered dog kennel.

Great that Fancy is ready for a ride!

And yes horses are way to smart.

We came home from the Cowie celebration last night to find that Jet was out with Tonto and Sarcee.

Someone opened his gate and I don't think it was the cat.

Everyone have a nice Sunday!

• Glad to hear Fancy is feeling better!

Socks hates a hot wire!  Given any chance he will destroy it.  He knows how to time it and will grab the wire in between charges to yank it down.  My old mares were terrified of them.  If the thing would snap from a short, they would go into a panic.  So Socks, being the prankster he is, would intentionally short his wire just to watch them spin.  He's kinda like the bratty little brother.

I get to shift ten small bales (around a hundred pounds or so each) every week into the little horse trailer adjacent to the barn.  The shipping container we store them in is about a hundred-fifty feet or so away.  Thank heavens for that little Kubota.  It makes life a lot more bearable on a variety of levels.

Looks like Crystal, our grumpy Princess, is going to a new home on Tuesday.  I have been working her every day in preparation of meeting her new owner.  He will be taking the Pacific and Sierakowski competition vehicles with her.  Won't miss either one particularly.  The grumpy Princess I will miss.  Hopefully she behaves herself in her new home.

Paradise continues to be a horror story.  Seventy-five people confirmed dead and over a thousand missing.  There are some happy endings, like the horse who had to good sense to jump in the swimming pool and the horses set loose who actually were able to escape the fire.  But the sheer scope of the destruction to a really beautiful community is heartbreaking, to say the least.   I look at that and am quite aware that Lewiston, Fawn Lodge, and Weaverville could also suffer the same fate.  In fact, Fawn Lodge used to be home to several hundred people prior to 1938.  It was completely destroyed by a fire and some of the building's foundations and remains are still there.  But such a large town as Paradise...  unthinkable,  just an overwhelming situation.  

The university town of Chico is overloaded attempting to deal with all the refugees from the mountain communities burned out.  Walmart's parking lot looks like a camp ground.  There just isn't enough resources to deal with all the people and their animals.  

FEMA set up in Walmart's parking lot as well for temporary and will be setting up long-term in the old Sears building.  I can only hope our new Governor will have the good sense to listen where Jerry didn't.  However, looking at the mess Newsom made of San Francisco, I rather doubt it.  Jerry is babbling incoherently about Global Warming and telling us this is, "the new normal," for California.  No word about allowing proper forest management and backing the Enviro-Fascists off.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the state attempted to prevent anyone from moving back in or rebuilding.

What with tens of thousands of people displaced, there is a housing problem from Sacramento all the way to the Oregon border.  The scalpers and scammers, thieves and ne'r-do-wells are working overtime.

Well, praise God we are expecting rain on Wednesday and for a week thereafter.  Some of the fear of fire danger will be alleviated.  It should help to deal with what remains of the fire.  I really am getting tired of dealing with these fires.  Wish I could escape this place...