Quick Post

Monday more sunshine

Monday more sunshine
  • I hope.

Yes Texas! Y'all come.
    Wouldn't that be fun?

The air is perfumed with Agerita and Mexican plum.
    A few wildflowers starting. I am not sure we have gotten enough rain for a full floral display this year.

The Texas party was a hit.
    Everyone enjoyed it.
    A slightly smaller group at 22.
    So much laughter.
    If we got our outdoor pavilion area finished we could double the guest list.

Food was great.
    I enjoyed only having to make chili.
    Although R's comment was why can't you ever just serve hamburgers?
    With a longhorn steer going to butcher for ground beef he just may get his wish next year.

Our Longhorn partners dropped off another young heifer and steer.
    She is a very pretty tri-color with a very docile temperament.
    They will be keeping her. The steer will be their next years meat.
    Not sure of their plan for the little bull calf?

Our cow still hasn't calved. I was hoping for it on Texas Independence day.
    Possibly she wasn't bred but she looks like a very pregnant momma.

The pecan cobbler turned out excellent.
    The recipe could use a slight week and the recipe time was off significantly.
    And R's comment was Wow that was the best dessert ever, make that again!
    But he has never met a dessert he hasn't liked?

We spent yesterday putting dishes away and un-decorating.

Probable task today is go work on cabin. I have to launder sheets and towels there.
    Meanwhile we can work on trim. Inside or out I am not sure.

Everyone have a sun-shiney Monday!

• Sun is shining bright here also,   Hope the N.E. gets some of it after all that snow.

Sounds like lots of fun DH.   Glad it turned out good.

There is a longhorn ranch/farm  10 minutes from me.  Dickinsons LongHorns.   He moved here from somewhere

out west and boughst up 1000;'s of acres of reclaimed strip mine land.   Some mighty big bulls.  The pens are all welded

6 and 8 inch pipe..  His house, office, and store are  built over the barn..  Some of the bulls I think are what they refer to

as Mexican??   not sure about that name though.   Mean looking things.   LOL

Listening to this ,  this morning as I type.  Great choir,  solo singers and orchestra.      Requiem  by Mozart.

www.youtube.com/watch

• Not sure, but I believe Mozart was finishing up this piece when he died.  Thank you for posting the link.  Mozart's music always works on so many levels and is so sublime...

Beautiful day here in Oak Run.  Temp on the barn is thirty degrees.  I'm not much looking forward to feeding.  Well sitting here listening to Mozart isn't getting everyone fed, so out I go.  Hope everyone has a great week!

• Here's another good one for you (YouTube, what can I say?  One video leads to another, leads to another, and another. and another...):

• Yes Vivaldi       I have listened to this piece before and others he composed.

Here is a group I like.   The Dover Quartet       In a video that follows this same music,  a conductor

asks the audience not to clap at a dramatic pause during the performance until he turns around and

they can see the whites of his eyes.  (conductor is dressed in white.

I don't think young people appreciate how talented these composers were/are  and the orchestras that

play these pieces.  Even though they have been used in movies and commercials they don't recognize them as classical composition's.

www.youtube.com/watch;v=ifmoqtPiJSg

• Great music.  What a nice way to start my day...it is Tuesday here.  I got the barn gate shoveled out...sort of Monday.   Now I must make a path to the cliff.  All of my containers are full and we are expecting a Nor'easter to hit the area Wednesday night.  No, that does not thrill me.

Interesting observation, to me at least.  Whisper was getting a flake of second cut grass...orchard, timothy, weeds...golden rod, thistle, and whatever else grows in that old pasture, twice a day, plus all she could ingest if loose in the barn.  I thought, Put it out in the feeder and give her none in the barn and maybe outside will be a desirable place to be.  Snow.  After only missing two feedings of second I noticed her stocked up legs were not so stocked up.  Now, after several days of no second, her legs look good.  Yes, she has a couple of old issues that will always be unattractive, but her legs are looking great, as good or better than after exercise.  Thinking back, that three months she was dealing with the huges swelling in her left front, she was getting second cut..different lot, better quality, but still second..no, not alfalfa but there may have been a spattering of  clover and vetch in it.  Ran out about the time she showed really good improvement.  Apparently the dear desert bred can not tolerate rich hay.    She is not happy not getting it but I certainly am happy she is doing better.

Still looking for a second horse.  Need to go look at a Standardbred a friend has..not sure if he is hers or on consignment,  He is NOT pretty but he has been in parades, in shows, has raced and I think she said had been road horse until his owner died and he became a saddle horse.  I saw his picture.  She is right.  He is not a pretty horse but you (or at least I) can't ride pretty, like a girl (this is what I told my boys) pretty is as pretty does.  As far as an unattractive head on a horse, it isn't noticed from the back.

Here is a picture of him from the parade day.  I asked, he was not TQ to parade.

His name is Wild Wild Westy.  Doesn't look very wild to me but the people who got him for a saddle horse could not ride him.  They took him to my friend for work and she insisted they bring his tack.  Then she made them tack him up.  Saddle, western, narrow and too far back sitting on an english pad and pinching his back and gut.  Bridle?  bit in upside down and backwards.  She worked with them he did the shows and parades under her watchful eye.  They took him home, saddle back to far and he said he was not moving...he moved, back to my friend and is now for sale.  He is not cheap, not pricy.  He is 13 and about 15H.  I want to go try him.  Now for the weather to cooperate...friend works at another stable to subsidize her place so it has to be evenings.

Have a great week, all.

• Thiank you S.C. that was lovely.

• One of my faves:

• musicians play the music,   great musicians feel the music.

Great music brings out the emotions of humanity and puts them on stage.

Thanks Stud. for sharing this  video.