Quick Post

Free horses?

Free horses?
  • I just can't see spending BIG bucks and time on a horse that is never going to have a productive life when so many sound productive horses go by the wayside. 

There.  I'm done.  [':)']
  • Canadian houses are still open. There is still a lot of traffic over the boarder.

60 horses with NO training makes me wonder what they were doing with them all.  I do hope the all find a home.
  • I wonder what shape these horses are in? If they are giving them away, I have a feeling they can't afford to take care of them, so they may be starving now.

Reminds me of this very sad story: http://www.fox4now.com/global/story.asp?s=12821810

• [quote=TanyaC97]

60 horses with NO training makes me wonder what they were doing with them all. 

Me too.  Since it's the end of pasture season around here - if they had adequate pasture, they might still be in good shape.

I think these are breeders with no market.  The lady in the article sounds like a collector and it seems strange for anyone to lose their job as a nurse.

• It is a hot topic, but it also broaches the question of whether horses are pets or livestock I think. Everyone has a difference of opinion on it, so it is an ever on going argument. I think the source of it is the general definition. By law, they're still livestock. But there are a lot of people who do believe differently. Horses are a strange commodity.
  • Great point, JC. 
    MY horses are pets but I never fault a person for considering them livestock, as long as they are taken good care of and not abused.  Like the cowboys in the movies.  They had to take excellent care (as much as possible) of their horses for them to be able to last.  Like our cars.  We better do the upkeep or they're no good to us before long.
    Anyway, I agree with what you said. 
  • Excellent point JC.  If they are pets, then 60 is a lot and border line hoarder, if they are livestock then why were they still breeding so many in this market?

I am not trying to judge here, just wanting to know more about the story, YES I am being nosy.
  • [quote=TanyaC97]
         if they are livestock then why were they still breeding so many in this market?

I wonder that every time I hear about anyone breeding their horses.  I think it's an addiction with some people and a pipe dream with others. 

If there's any market for a particular line, then okay, but cautiously... conservatively.  As long as you're selling them.  The TWH/SSH market around here is hanging on by a thread because the shows are always popular.  I just found out my cowboy-kid neighbor showed 2 of my horse farm neighbor's horses and placed 4th and 8th in the world with them, respectively.  Pretty cool!!

• Can you please send me some info on the horse farm in Dickson,TN

Thank you
  • Can you please send me some info on the horse farm in Dickson,TN  
                                       Thank you
  • This thread is over 3 years old. If you're looking for free horses you might try a rescue, even then they expect an adoption fee to help pay for expenses of keeping the horses safe and healthy. If you can't afford an adoption fee then you should volunteer at the rescue and be around them without having one you can't pay for.  You'll get more horse time that way anyway. [':)']