Quick Post

Memorial Day Monday

Memorial Day Monday
  • I feel funny saying "Happy Memorial Day" though I wish every day were happy. People are so hostile about it. I hope we spend more than one day a year remembering the price paid by some. Those who died while serving? How about those who served a lifetime, managed to stay alive and struggled to rejoin the world? Can we remember them, too? My dad got a purple heart in WWII but didn't die in combat. Cancer claimed him in 63. I remember him. Finally got his flag into a flag box. Need to get a display for his purple heart and good conduct, too.

"undo the cabin" - does that mean de-winterize? Open it up? Make repairs after a natural disaster? Get it ready for a visitor - wish it was me? :)

We managed to get some talking done and things are back on an even keel - not that anything's changed. I guess I said my peace and feel better. Breaking a dish helped, though it was pyrex and I loved it and it prompted me to do a thorough cleaning of the floors, which needed it desperately. So we went to his brother's as we did last Memorial Day weekend. I enjoy that family. They found a little rabbit warren/den/nest in their back yard and have it coned off. I wish the crows didn't loiter in the area so much. All I saw was level ground with a patch of bunny fur that sometimes moved if you watch long enough.

My friend sent a video of a horse she was going to try. It had a very short stride (suspiciously so) at the trot and, as the rider tried to extend the trot he would break into a canter (very slow, pretty) but would fight her to go back to the trot. They claim he's sound and have an $1800 adoption fee. One TB they have a $7500 adoption fee. I don't really get it. I'm sure they're worth it. The not fully sound/light riding only horses they were pretty much giving away so. So much for a high price ensuring a good home. Seems not real ethical. All TB's. She seems bent on a Tbred. She sent me another link so I have to go check that out. I don't want to seem like I'm discouraging her. I think about what you said about being truthful and not wanting her to get hurt. I wish she would consider leasing just to be in a more controlled setting without committing to the full care of a horse. Anyway, I know she can afford whatever so I'm not going to be concerned with the problem I have with a rescue charging a $7500 adoption fee.

Have a Happy Monday and a don't forget to remember.
  • I am thankful for all who have served and those who continue to serve this country.  Often a thankless thing to do.

Yesterday we had a guest speaker from Uganda at church.  We "adopted" a child from there and will pay school expenses for this child for one year.  $240.  provides school tuition, uniform and meals.  They also receive medical care.  We feel this is a wonderful thing to do.  No administrative fees, just $20/month to give a child a chance for a better present and future and to help preserve the future of a country with a Christian President.  They watch this country with open eyes.  Refused financial "help" that would have provided education for non bibical life styles.  Refused help to promote abortion.  A big financial hit to a financially strapped  country but I admire them for standing up for their moral standards.  The Ugandan government is happy with the new administration in this country.  They feel the way this country goes has a huge effect on other nations.  Ok, enough sermonizing.   "our" child is an eleven year old girl named Kwaka.  We will support her education this year and, if we are able, next year too.  Our speaker is the head honcho over more than 1100 churches.  What a responsibility.

A rain day here.  Had self invited people here last night for a cook out.  We had a brand new grill.  She shoved Cal away and took over the cooking.  She put a can of chili on the grill to heat it for chili cheese dogs (ugh, we had bbq chicken cooked).  Cal said the chili was cold on the hot dogs yet somehow it  managed to get all over the inside of the new gas grill....there was a claim of it boiling over.  A promise to clean up the mess.  I cleaned it up after they left.  The good part was the chicken was good, Cal loves his wilted spinach/bacon/mushroom thing, the bonfire was nice and they left early.  Okay, I know this sounds like it was not a thrilling time for me...it wasn't.

Contacted the trucker and the gelding will be heading out to a sale when she recovers from her major allergy/upper respiratory attack.  He can be sweet, but I can't risk him hurting her and he loses all reason if she is out of his sight.

• I was talking with my oldest son today about his Maternal Grandfather.  Keith Southworth arrived in France on D-Day and continued through to the Battle of the Bulge.  Arriving as a private second class, he was advanced from Corporal to Sargent to Major because nearly all of his battalion was lost and all of the officers were!  It was a field promotion that didn't stick, though they did advance him later to a Staff Sargent.  When the French Attache' presented him with the Legion of Honour award and thanked him for his service in liberating France, Keith cried.  Helen said she'd never seen her husband cry before.  I'm glad the French did that.  There are a lot of enlisted men who needed it.  Just wish there was a way the men and women who served after WWII could get the same recognition.  Such a shame their service is so taken for granted.  Much like this country's worldwide support and assistance is taken for granted.

But there I go nattering along again.

Connie, our denomination has a Seminary in Uganda.  I wasn't aware of the stand they had taken.  However I was aware that Obama and Hillary Clinton's visits there were... uncomfortable.  The Lord will bless the Ugandans for their faithfulness, I am quite sure.  Just as he will reward our country for our actions...

Quiet day around here today.  I got the wiring sorted out by the back door.  We have one new outlet set up and two switches.  One switch for the Dining Room light and another for the Back porch light.  I have to trim a panel, re-insulate the wall, then tack down all the paneling.  Then there's an upper cabinet for the kitchen and the back wall is done.  New doors, new floor in the Dining Room and Kitchen, and the problems addressed with the crumbling back wall.  Then I can get back to finishing the front deck and putting up the new back deck.  Finally the laundry room will be done with a new back door, new floor, porch light, Exterior outlet repair, and new landing extending to the new deck.  So this is going to be a busy summer.  Along with all those things, I have to find time for the horses and repairing my carriages.  A very full agenda for the next few months.  Add to that, Jmebear is going in soon to get her other hip done.  We shall see how that goes.

Well, it's after midnight again.  Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!  I'm off to bed.