Quick Post

Moving to SC?

Moving to SC?
  • Hi All!!
    I am in the Military, currently in the Middle East.  I was just offered a return assignment of Mullins SC.  From what I can see, it is a small area.  Is there anyone from the surrounding area that might be able to give me some ideas on where to board my horse, or websites to look at?  I would like to have access to an indoor area, and I need full care.  I will be in the area early Jan. to look around before bringing my horse in. 
    Thanks in advance for any ideas, or suggestions

• Hi!  Welcome back!  You're going to be a recruiter?  I was looking at what was there.  Also I googled Mullins SC stables and found some in the surrounding area.  There are sites for those places that should show you what they have.  You can call feed stores (or email) and see what they think.  Where's your horse now?  Have you seen any horses over there? [':)']
  • Thanks for the welcome back!
    My horse is in Cali, taking the year off.  I have been taking a lesson a week as long as my mission/work schedule will allow.  I was trying to Google horse boarding, and/or horse training, so I will try out stables.  Sometimes its all in the wording. 
    As far as Duty there, seems there is an MRE plant in the area, and that is what is being offered, its a great
    opportunity, though I really dont want to haul my horse cross country, AGAIN! (this will be our 3rd trip)

• I live in SC and also run a website, www.sc-horse.com, that has a lot of info. In regards to stables, I have a couple listed in Marion, which is close. You can also check www.newhorse.com which has quite a few listed in that area.

Florence is a big horse area in SC and is pretty close to you.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that during the off season you take your horse to Inlet Point Plantation, http://www.inletpointplantation.com/, in North Myrtle Beach. Awesome place to ride.

• Thanks for the web sites!!!  Oh and the off season tip, will have to look into that!!

• During the tourist season they use their own horses for trail rides. In the off season, their horses move to NC and they open it up for you to bring your own. It is on 2000-3000 acre nation preserve. You can ride in forest, pecan groves and ultimately, on the beach.
  • Thank you both for the tips, I decided to go ahead and accept that assignment!  Now to plan another cross country move....
  • If you're in Iraq or A'stan there's a great program that's free.  I think it's 2 weeks long and it's wilderness stuff, depending on the location and time of year.  It's for people coming back to just depressurize and clear their minds and get prepared for life with family again.  Not sure if you were at those 2 places but if so, even if you had a desk job you should go for it.  They mentioned white water rapids.... dog sledding.... it's totally cool.  If you want I can find you the info.  Several locations across the country. 
    Also, will you pay a shipper to haul for you?  If you're driving I'll have a layover place for you in the Memphis area.
  • Thanks for the info.  I am assigned to Kuwait, and spending my year in Bahrin. I have a car and cat in MD and VA, and the horse/truck/trailer are in Ca, so I have to do things rather quickly in order to get everyone/thing in the same place at the same time.  I am doing as much as I can for the horse from here, Days Inn doesnt appreciate it when you try to claim a horse as a pet...
    I do my own hauling, and that is why I am not looking forword to it, good thing my horse travels well.  Thanks for the overnight stay offer, I may be taking you up on it!!
  • Tell us about your horse and tell us what route you'll be taking with your trailer.  How many hours/day will you be traveling while hauling?
  • I guess I never have properly introduced myself..... 
    I have an 11 y/o Arab mare that I got when she was 5.  She was born and raised in the Idaho/Montana area.  She was bread/trained to be an endurance horse, but those owners felt she was happier in an area type setting.  She ended up in the hands of a trainer who turned her out for 6 months, the brought her in and put about 30 days on her over 90 days.  I chose this horse out of the few I was looking at because she seemed to be a good project/turnover horse, but the more I worked with her the more I liked her.  I Bought her as a WP prospect, and ended up with an awesome english horse. 

I will not know the route I will take till time gets closer, she is in Northern Cali, so 70, 40, and 10 are all  
    possibilities.  What works best for her and I is to pull out about 08, and go till lunch, figure out about where we will be in the next 3-5 hours, and start making calls for an over night stop.  we normally do around 500 miles a day, but if she isn't eating/drinking we either don't move for 24 hours, or make a short day of travel.  I pay attention to how she is doing, and make my decisions from there.  I try to arrange it so she has about an hour of turn out time before and after that days travel.  so far she has gone from Wa state to Md Via a 15 day lay over in Nor Cal, and from Md back to Nor Cal.  I haul her loose in the trailer, allowing her to hang her head and keep her airway clear.  knock on wood, she has never gotten sick during our moves. 

About Me: I have been riding since 85, so since I was 11.  Started with Arabs, moved to QH, and well, now back to the Arabs.  I LOVE WP, but love to have a happy horse more, and since english makes my mare happy, WP will have to wait another day... I have several year end awards, and a few AQHA points as a youth.  Did some work for my trainer in my youth days; doing a lot of the work he didn't have the patience for, showmanship, trail, or just exercising the reiners/cutters. 
    ok, I think that about sums it all up....
  • You're quite a seasoned traveler!  (and so is your mare)  Hopefully we can contact some possibilities along those routes.  10 seems pretty far south for you.
  • I live right along 70, and am about a day from Hunterseat.  (She's stayed here before...)  You'd be more than welcome to stay here, too!  Your mare would get an entire pasture to herself!  (If you would want her in the barn, we can do that, too!?)  Just say when....and we'll be here!
  • Ooh!  A plan comes together!  Mwahahaha!  *rubs hands together and limps around like Igor*
  • [':)']